ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #16
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Great job!! That's a nice looking drum.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #17
smokeyokie
is one Smokin' Farker

Very Nice!!!! I just completed my first UDS and I mean mine is UGLY!!! until you cook on it and it is a thing of beauty!!! I got it put together and started cooking before I got it prettied up!!! I guess I am going to have to build another and make it pretty!!! I cant believe I waited so long to build it
[SIZE=3]maverick ET 732[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]1 really, I mean really UGLY Drum Smoker[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]super fast RED and BLACK thermapens[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]_____________________[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Billy:flame:"Smoke on Brothers and Sisters"[/SIZE]
smokeyokie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #18
bo_b_q
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheatbbq View Post
Nice Job! Did the fire pretty much take off all the outside paint?
Thanks! The fire did take off most of the outside paint. Didn't build a huge fire but used a leaf blower to speed up the process and get it going pretty good. After about 15 minutes of increased airflow all around whatever was left was easily take off in a few minutes by the pressure washer...luckily there was no dreaded red liner so it was a simple process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Hawg View Post
The one problem I see, no smoke shots except for the burn out. Not nice to tease.
Sorry to tease...I have a few shots from my first cook this weekend...haven't had a chance to get them uploaded yet...soon though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
Very nice, wish I could weld things to my uds like that, but my welder is a flux core and just does not want to let me weld heaver metal to drum material, without burning holes and tons of splatter.
Dave
I will admit the only parts of welding I took part in was connecting the ground (is that what it's called? ) a few times and holding things in place and being told not to breathe until it was tacked. No clue what type of welder we used. The old man is a decent welder and he had trouble with burning holes and some rough looking welds. I only know this because of the choice words used after the welding noise stopped. I was just going to salvage and old gas grill frame with the side tables and set the drum in the middle because that is the limit of my mechanical abilities...when you can do that sort of thing you tend to take on bigger projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyokie View Post
Very Nice!!!! I just completed my first UDS and I mean mine is UGLY!!! until you cook on it and it is a thing of beauty!!! I got it put together and started cooking before I got it prettied up!!! I guess I am going to have to build another and make it pretty!!! I cant believe I waited so long to build it
Nothing wrong with having two. I got my first cook in on Sunday and there are already a few drips and smudges...only more to come!

Thanks for looking and for the comments. I love this site and all the ideas and information. Now that I have the equipment in place I will try to contribute some of my meager offerings!
bo_b_q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-12-2012, 07:33 AM   #19
chicagokp
is Blowin Smoke!

Very nice! Love the side tables.

White Lightning Thermopen
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #20
Stacks
On the road to being a farker

Nicely done Sir! I can't believe i waited so long to build mine. I think I cook more now than ever because the UDS is so easy and turns out great Q. Have fun getting her dirty!!
SAUCED HOG BBQ / KCBS CBJ #60733
Stacks is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #21
Desert Hawg
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo_b_q View Post

I was just going to salvage and old gas grill frame with the side tables and set the drum in the middle because that is the limit of my mechanical abilities...when you can do that sort of thing you tend to take on bigger projects.

You mean like this??

Desert Hawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #22
bo_b_q
Knows what a fatty is.

Yup...that's what I had in mind! Wasn't good enough to please the fabricator part of the old man.

Diggin' those wheels...all-terrain!

Unread 12-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #23
bo_b_q
Knows what a fatty is.

Finally got a minute to upload a few photos from the initial run. Didn't get a ton of pics or any of the food in the cooking process but I did get before and after...

A chuck roast, hunk of brisket flat, and two fatties.

Finished brisket. Soaked it in some RC overnight. Rubbed with some salt, pepper, and some other spices I thought sounded good. Turned out OK. Not too dry but not super juicy either. Cooked to ~165*, foiled to 205*, then rested. This is my 2nd attempt at brisket...way better than the 1st, still need to dial it in though.

Didn't get the chuck roast before I pulled it. Soaked it the night before in Cherry Dr. Pepper, just added a little salt & pepper for spices. Cooked on Sunday, had the chuck roast on Monday night. Left it whole when it came off at ~200*. Got home from work and threw it in the crock pot with some beef broth, Worcestershire, and a Leinenkugel's Creamy Dark (which I don't care to drink..but got stuck with three in the winter sampler pack...worked good for this) let it get warm up and then pulled it. Add some pepperjack cheese with a little peppered-vinegar sauce I made....mmmmm mmmm mmmm farkin' delicious!

The fatties didn't make it to their photo op...but they served there purpose!

I still have a lot to learn before I make stuff at the level I've seen here, but I guess it's a start! All the info here has eased my learning curve greatly...much appreciated!

Unread 12-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #24
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 4

nice looking food and drum!!!

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #25
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice build