Turkey Breast

sfisch

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've got a 8lb turkey breast w/rib cage attached getting ready to be rubbed down and put on the wsm tomorrow. Most likely will keep the temp around 275-300. How long would you think it will take?

Scott

I think i would plan on longer than 4.5 hrs. I had a 4lb boneless hunk of breast meat take 7 hrs. the other night at around 280*

We are talking about Bubba, a 9 pounder would only be one cheek.

In regards to the turkey, I was thinking it may make a difference because of the cage being attached, that it may speed things up, just didn't want it to get done too early.
Thanks

Scott

Dang! That's a long time! I brine, but wouldn't expect it to make that big a difference.

I brined it also for about 2 hours and cooked it to 170 on the dot. took 3 times as long as i had planned.

If you are cooking that hot, I'd guess between 2-3 hours. I did a boneless one a couple of weeks ago; I don't remember how big it was, but info about the cook is here:

http://noexcusesbbq.com/archives/382

Although the total time from cook start to meal was slightly more than 3 hours, at least 20 minutes of that was the turkey resting before I carved it. Looking back, I didn't cook it as hot as you are planning either.

Back