• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Took the wife out to dinner...

BBQ Bandit

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
... and wound up to a "Texas" themed restaurant ... in Pennsylvania.

On the wall... claimed a #1 rib award in a competition in 1994.. also plastered on the menu was "slow and low"... so I ordered a rack.

Fark me... I couldnt taste anything... but a heavy sugar paste covering the ribs. It was sweeter than Kool-aide! The texture was a tug of war... and no surprise... no smoke ring.:shock:

My worst batch of ribs were better than these...

Am I the only one who is continually depressed (going out for dinner) after a dissapointing taste bud event? We already gave up going out for steaks.

I guess there's nothing like gorging on food touched by the delectible flame... some good old down-home grub.

Staying at home,
PA

Yea, we quit eating out about a year ago. Seemed like the quality wasn't as good no matter where we ate, and someone in the family always had a tummy ache after we went out, either because the portions were too big, or it was just crap.

We eat out almost every Friday. We have a few favorite, local restaurants we go to. Rarely will we eat BBQ out.

Love mexican food and there are plenty of good places to eat mexican out here, so that's usually the way we roll.

Anymore, I almost loathe going out to eat, the service is average at best, and the food is usually mediocre. I've definately spoiled myself!

you don't mind going out and paying if it is good - but more and more I find you can make a better quality meal at home and for a whole lot cheaper

We eat out almost every Friday. We have a few favorite, local restaurants we go to. Rarely will we eat BBQ out.

Love mexican food and there are plenty of good places to eat mexican out here, so that's usually the way we roll.
Same here with us. After making my own BBQ, I refuse to lower myself (or damage my tastebuds) by getting restaurant 'Q.

We eat chinese, mexican, and burgers out. The rest I cook. My kids (9 & 12) prefer to eat at home. I have friends whose kids prefer McDonalds. Poor kids - their parents can't cook, unless you consider warming package food cooking - I don't.

... and wound up to a "Texas" themed restaurant ... in Pennsylvania.

On the wall... claimed a #1 rib award in a competition in 1994.. also plastered on the menu was "slow and low"... so I ordered a rack.

Fark me... I couldnt taste anything... but a heavy sugar paste covering the ribs. It was sweeter than Kool-aide! The texture was a tug of war... and no surprise... no smoke ring.:shock:

My worst batch of ribs were better than these...

Am I the only one who is continually depressed (going out for dinner) after a dissapointing taste bud event? We already gave up going out for steaks.

I guess there's nothing like gorging on food touched by the delectible flame... some good old down-home grub.

Staying at home,
PA

We did a few years in the 'Burg over in Camp Hill. Where did you go? Been a while, but there are some good places there. Also, one rib joint we hit a lot after O's games was the Corner Stable in Cockeysville, MD.

We eat chinese, mexican, and burgers out. The rest I cook.

Same here. We go out for Chinese, Mexican, and Breakfast. I can do all of them better at home too, but going out is for convenience.

Same boat here - won't order steaks or ribs out any more. Hate paying the price for stuff I can make better at home. We have a favorite Mexican place in the next town - that about does it for us... Big Al grills a mean steak.... ummmm steak......

Sorry you had a bad experience. I won't order BBQ unless i know the place (either from personal experience or someone i trust). I will order steaks, but only at a good steakhouse. I'll also go out for chinese, thai, mexican or sushi, but that's about it. I had my own restaurant ordeal tonight but I won't hijack your thread.

My real job has me travelling (4-8 nights a month) and it's really depressing what people try to sell as quality food.

Amen to all of this. Had a meal at a celebrity steak house a week ago in Chicago and the porterhouse came out overcooked in some, under in other places. It had steak seasoning on it. Company paid, but man it was by far the worst piece of meat I've had in a long time.

Feel your pain.

I definitely have to get my Mexican fix at least once a week (or twice) ... we've been trying to eat at home more! No arguing the food is better at home most the time.

Yeah Ive given up on BBQ out. just cant compare anymore... :( tis a shame

I keep asking the wife if she wants to go out for dinner... She says why settle for second best...is that love or what:eek: Like the others have said certin types of food Mex, thai, chinee we will hit the resturants but it is few and far between:icon_bigsmil:cool:

We did a few years in the 'Burg over in Camp Hill. Where did you go? Been a while, but there are some good places there. Also, one rib joint we hit a lot after O's games was the Corner Stable in Cockeysville, MD.

There was a place, now closed down some 5 years ago in Camp Hill... Rib-It.

There's ONE place I returned (drooling) to was Red, Hot, and Blue restaurant in Annapolis, MD. On our honeymoon... found it by complete accident (coincident). Was only 2 blocks from our hotel room.

According to the story...was an old pancake house with a windmill on the roof. The restaurant kept the windmill.
http://www.daplus.us/ShowPhoto.aspx...866487C01718EE997EFEAEE0D61AE7&Partner=400240

That was the my first true epifany to the pursuit to BBQ. :mrgreen:

Had a meal at a celebrity steak house a week ago in Chicago

There's the problem. A celebrity restaurant. In most cases the ones i have tried have been mediocre at best. Sometimes they have specialties that are good, like the pork chops at Ditka's, but otherwise I find that they aren't worth the money.

The next time you (or the company) wants to spend too much money for a steak in Chicago, let me know. There are great steakhouses here, but I can't think of any that have celebrity names on them (except maybe Schula's, but I've only been there once).

Since Ive been cooking slow and low, I don't go to BBQ restaurants looking for any good Q, Ill only order a chopped beef or pulled pork sandwich..those are hard to mess up..

I like mom and pop type places when going out to eat, the chain restaurants with bag and boil type stuff don't do anything for me...

now watching drive-in, dives, and dinners,...

Never seen anything I Wouldn't want to take a bite of..!!! It all looks good, but then again its mom and pop places..

Here in my little part of Bama we have lots of places that serve what they call BBQ. I have been on a quest of sorts to try all of them. Have not got to them all yet, but have been let down on all, to date. It's mostly about speed and money. I do want to one day make some dollars for my Que, but never if it means I have to sacrifice LOW and SLOW!!! And that is how I feel and I will not change for the sake of that extra dollar.

Back