KCBS Membership & BOD Candidate Disappointment

If you don't like what an organization does either work to change it from within or don't be a part of the organization. No one is forcing anyone to join or stay joined. It's $35/year for Gods sake. If it's not worth it to you, move on an quit complaining about it.

I was going to stay out of this but i dont think what was said is fair. I am a KCBS member, supporter, judge and cook. First some people have to watch every dollar spent and to say " It's $35/year for Gods sake" just blows my mind. My opinion only but $35 is $35. If this organization is only for people that have money, Then the KCBS as a society has bigger problems than I thought.

Second if no one has the right to question/or complain then why do we have elections for the board at all? i mean isnt it different people with different views? Granted some are more vocal than others.

I personally wish I would hear more of the charitable work the KCBS does. To me the bullsheet is the perfect place for stories like that and I would very much like to read them. I know they are done but it would still be nice to read articles on them.

Maybe some are tired of your rants over KCBS? We all know how you feel...most know you are suspended....

I get my $35 dollars worth. Im happy. Im going to the banquet and gonna have a blast.

Can i get a new tshirt? Mine is worn out from wearing it so much...

See you friday! :p

The problem is I would like to compete, albeit only 1-2 contests a year. I have at least 5 this year all within a few miles of my house. I may pursue a Minnesota BBQ society membership just so I don't feel like a total leach, but I think the KCBS is missing the boat when choosing not to promote to, educate, and include the average backyard guy. I have read the bull sheet and while I thought it would be pretty valuable it seems to be mostly ads and of little value to the backyard guy.

You will have to check for sure, but I think you have to be a KCBS member to participate in KCBS competitions. Am I wrong about that? They are educating the average guy about BBQ. You took a class, you joined KCBS, you know about competition BBQ. KCBS helps raise awareness about BBQ. Whether that's helping get more comps going or whatever else they do.

Just my 2 cents!
Eggspert BBQ

What "education of barbecue cooking" does KCBS have? Does selling BBQ cookbooks for profit count? This is an honest question?

dmp

I don't know how intertwined things are between the KCBS and Sam's Club, but the Sam's Club tour has demos (or at least it did at the one I attended).

Eric

You will have to check for sure, but I think you have to be a KCBS member to participate in KCBS competitions. Am I wrong about that?

Yes. With the exception of the Sam's Club event, you do not have to be a member of the KCBS to participate in events sanctioned by the KCBS.

Eric

I'm rather surprised by the heated responses to the OP.

He seems disappointed by one facet of the KCBS (educating the backyard enthusiast), expressed why and said that he was going to probably not re-up his membership (and instead, get a subscription here). He also questioned the accuracy of the mission statement. Why is this a problem for some?

Seriously, where did he go wrong? I even saw mention of mud slinging. If this was directed towards the OP, I have no idea what was meant by it.

Eric

I probably should slap my fingers off the keyboard! <<I hear you, Jorge...>>

KCBS gives back plenty. Ask the kids of KCBS members who applied for and received a grants in aid to help pay for their education. Ask the organizations who received grant money to further their missions, from a kids' group buying cookers to senior Q. Things like this aren't shouted from the rooftops and not near as interesting as slinging dirt around.

KCBS provides a framework for organizers to put together contests, officials to officiate the contests, trained judges who know the judging method and structure for the cooks competing. $35 a year gives you the Bullsheet every month that's less than $3 for each issue. I don't use any of the other member discounts, but I may sometime.

Those of you who do not know me, I admit up front I AM BIASED towards KCBS. I have served it's members for 2 years and 11 months on the board of directors and I have been president for the last year and 11 months. KCBS isn't perfect, but it provides the structure and method for a pastime I enjoy very much.

As a KCBS Member and a somewhat new CBJ... 3 contests and 18 months… it’s always refreshing to see that you (Candy Sue) post on various forums.

That said… I see nothing wrong with the OP. Since KCBS BOD members post here, how difficult is it for any of them to professionally respond to the OP and answer his / her questions? Candy Sue was kind enough to reply.

Maybe some of you more experienced Brethren can assist with further educating the masses about the benefits you enjoy from your KCBS membership.

There is no need for anyone to get so defensive. Several of these of responses are why many “lurk” :icon_shy, instead of joining the conversations. JMHO.

Kevin

If someone doesn't like something, leave it alone. I will say when you start getting flip with Candy or Sterling, you are clueless. Calling it a little club is foolish and childish also. As pointed out if you don't like things, make an effort to change them in the proper way. Not keyboard attention to yourselves. Don't like things move on. No big deal, just don't whine and not expect an earfull. Steve.

My comment directed towards Candy were not meant to be flip in anyway, merely a response. I apologize to her if they were taken that way. I was genuine in my questions and concerns in this thread. I never whined, and I asked for comments and feedback. Instead, many chose to respond in tones I would construe as disrespectful.

A large organization seeks its members feedback and I was merely choosing to seek input from other potential members. Responding with "if you don't like it leave", and "it is only a $35 bucks" is the attitude of a club, not a professional organization seeking to grow its members. Just my two cents. Sorry to have ruffled so many feathers. I will go back to lurking and making my 0.8 comments per month.

You obviously didn't see the benefits to membership that I pointed out in my post. So, what would you like to see directed towards the non-competing, non-judging, non-organizing membership persons? A Myron Mixon private lesson? I'm on the other side of members, so I'm asking since you brought it up. And you might notice that I mainly lurk here as well.

Robert

to the OP; I'm sorry you don't see any value in your membership. I'm a competitor so I think being a KCBS member is well worth the $35 annual fee.

While I don't agree "KCBS seems to only cater to those who are involved in competition in some way", I will say that KCBS not only does have a heavy focus on competition, I don't think they in any way try to hide that. If you take a look at the website, the overwhelming majority of content is in some way shape or form about competing.

You said you originally joined with intentions of judging and/or cooking a contest. It sounds as though you have since changed your mind and are considering taking a different approach, which is all fine and well, it is certainly your prerogative. What I don't understand is, why you would be disappointed the organization you joined to become part of the competition process (by either judging or cooking) is focused on the competition community?

With regards to the backyard stuff. Perhaps reach out to Tom and Jennifer Duncan in AZ. They are growing their "Competitor Series" with the help of KCBS.

Its worth the $35 for me to know that when I show up there is somewhat of a standard for how things are going to be done, no matter where I travel to.

All this other stuff, to me, falls into over thinking what is supposed to be a hobby.

My comment directed towards Candy were not meant to be flip in anyway, merely a response. I apologize to her if they were taken that way. I was genuine in my questions and concerns in this thread. I never whined, and I asked for comments and feedback. Instead, many chose to respond in tones I would construe as disrespectful.

A large organization seeks its members feedback and I was merely choosing to seek input from other potential members. Responding with "if you don't like it leave", and "it is only a $35 bucks" is the attitude of a club, not a professional organization seeking to grow its members. Just my two cents. Sorry to have ruffled so many feathers. I will go back to lurking and making my 0.8 comments per month.

What I find really funny is people were wrong when they misunderstood your questions as disrespectful. But you consider yourself correct when you categorize their comments as disrespectful.

It is wrong to say "There are few benefits in being a member if you don't compete, judge or rep."

Sorry to have ruffled so many feathers. I will go back to lurking and making my 0.8 comments per month.

Umm, no!!!!!

WTF!!! It should be obvious that your OP has created some great comments and replies. Everyone has his or her opinion. We all have the choice, one way or another.

I do agree with you OP "It seems to me that if KCBS really wants to become a "community" for BBQ'ers of all types, it would make sense to pay as much attention to the greater BBQ community as they do to the competition community" in that there is not enough stuff related to "BBQ'ing" in general.

We pay our $50.00 per year.

My thought is: If this is going to affect our bank account, or our moral ideas, then we are in more trouble than we know about. FARK IT!!!

I do agree with others and their thoughts and unfortunate outcomes from events. That was stupid.

wallace

i pay the 50$ a year for my TEAM, with the rationalization that its supporting the body that helps my hobby. This is the same as 25$ to my daughters dance troop or the $100 bucks to my sons boys scouts.

However. I agree that Competition BBQ is more supported by the teams, the judges, the organizers. You dont need KCBS to put on a contest(there are other sanctioing bodies) and its a pretty big nut that an organizer pays to have KCBS onsite. My 48 team contest has nearly a $2000 bill between rep fees and expenses, listing fee and sanctioning(per team) fees. KCBS gets paid to put on the contests, so I doubt any of my 35$ is being used there. We also pay for the judging clases as well as the travel expenses of the instructors.

But the 35 bucks goes to the aforementioned grants and keeping the organization going. To me, its worthwhile, I just dont expect much.

on an admin note.. i see some truly unnecessary venom in this thread.. please let folks voice their opinions, counter civilly, but theres no need to step out attacking them.

I'm sorry you feel KCBS does not support your interest in BBQ. No organization can be everything to everyone. I believe the majority of KCBS members are involved in comp bbq in some way, either as cooks, judges, reps or organizers.

With that being said I am curious what a 'backyard barbecuer' is looking for from a bbq organization. What services do you think would be beneficial ? What would give a membership to KCBS value to you ?

I joined KCBS last summer when I took a CBJ class with intentions of judging/competing someday. That being said I am mainly a backyard cook who is a KCBS member. It is clear that KCBS is a sanctioning body, but what about the average joe. There are few benefits in being a member if you don't compete, judge or rep. Restaurant depot is great, but Costco, Sams or even the local butcher or internet can easily replace it for the backyard cook. I was disappointed to see minimal BOD candidates advocating for this segment of members. Those that did, only referred to the community as a whole. I did vote, but doubt I will re-up my membership and vote again as KCBS seems to only cater to those who are involved in competition in some way. The BOD candidates seemed to reiterate and support this notion.

It seems to me that if KCBS really wants to become a "community" for BBQ'ers of all types, it would make sense to pay as much attention to the greater BBQ community as they do to the competition community.

Just my 2 cents. I thought I would share my overall disappointment with joining KCBS as a non-competing member. I think my money would be better spent on a subscription here, which is exactly what I plan on doing rather than rejoining KCBS.

(mods can move this to "for the board" per http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-119131.html if they wish, but I am really not addressing them as much as the other members)

Maybe some are tired of your rants over KCBS? We all know how you feel...most know you are suspended....

I get my $35 dollars worth. Im happy. Im going to the banquet and gonna have a blast.

i appreciate DMP's opinions and thoughts. always did and still do. i don't think they changed much just because of a misfortune.

with that said, i think if KCBS openly, publicly, and tranparently declared how much money an organizer pays to them per contest and what charities our membership fees are given to and for what there would be much, much less chatter.

at that point, you can do your own math and make your own decision.

i did not renew. if i compete, my entry fee, in part, directly or indirectly, will pay the sanctioning fees and thus fund KCBS,

if i feel like judging, i think the $85+$35 is well worth the opportunity.

I'm sorry you feel KCBS does not support your interest in BBQ. No organization can be everything to everyone. I believe the majority of KCBS members are involved in comp bbq in some way, either as cooks, judges, reps or organizers.

With that being said I am curious what a 'backyard barbecuer' is looking for from a bbq organization. What services do you think would be beneficial ? What would give a membership to KCBS value to you ?

as has been said in this thread already, steve, KCBS offers little to the backyarder, but that should be understood as a member.

the value for paid service is here(bbqbrethren.com), be it even voluntary....

Back