Need some new knives for cutting up chicken

Fwismoker

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I'll take some suggestions... Usually order off of Amazon so if anyone knows any good ones on there that would be great.

I'll take some suggestions... Usually order off of Amazon so if anyone knows any good ones on there that would be great.

To be honest, my wife bought me a full set of Guy Fieri knives and, although I was extremely skeptical at first, I am duly impressed by these knives. High quality steel, great balance, cool looking, and the line of knives is respectable. I have the utility knife (it became my go to knife quickly), the chef's knife, the santoku knife, the cleaver, bread knife and a set of steak knives. No complaints. Best thing of all? They won't kill your pocketbook like a set of Henkels or Wustoffs.

Anyway, check them out. I like them but, that's just my suggestion.

If you are just looking for one knife to trim chicken though, look at the dexter boning knife. Nothing special, but few knives in its class will beat it for the price.

Great question Fwismoker. I would be interested in the responses/recommendations as well.

I love my Victorinox knives (which I also happen to sell, and will only sell products I believe in). They are affordable enough that I have more than one of the most frequently used (6" boning, 10" and 12" chef, slicer) so I always have a good knife.

For some really great kitchen knives, start hitting the thrift stores and places like Goodwill. Look for some Old Hickory knives. Found a full set of 9 knives with a knife block at Goodwill about a year ago for the ridiculous price of $9 including the knife block. Sharpened them puppies up and would put them up against my German steel fancy set of kitchen knives that I paid close to $350 for several years ago. You need to hand wash and dry them, but you should do that to any kitchen knife. Don't cut against a hard counter top or against a ceramic plate and they will stay sharp for a long time.

I have a small home based sharpening business where I sharpen all types of knives and cutting tools. The Old hickory brand is now owned by Ontario knife company out of NY, and is still a good knife, just not as good as the original was.

Blessings,

Omar

I use Dexter-Russel Sani-safe for breaking meats. I ran across them when I was cooking in restaurants and prefer the handle shape and texture. It has to be the Sani-safe, not the other D-R knives. The steel is mediocre, but, works fine for breaking and cutting up chickens. I dislike Victorinox as the handles have never been a good fit for me, and they slip in my hands. Both of these are mediocre steel.

I do like the Old Hickory knives, as I prefer carbon steel, and they are good for the price. Carbon steel sharpens better.

I use Dexter-Russel Sani-safe for breaking meats. I ran across them when I was cooking in restaurants and prefer the handle shape and texture. It has to be the Sani-safe, not the other D-R knives. The steel is mediocre, but, works fine for breaking and cutting up chickens. I dislike Victorinox as the handles have never been a good fit for me, and they slip in my hands. Both of these are mediocre steel.

I use these, too. They are reasonably priced and clean up well.

I love my Victorinox knives (which I also happen to sell, and will only sell products I believe in). They are affordable enough that I have more than one of the most frequently used (6" boning, 10" and 12" chef, slicer) so I always have a good knife.

+1 these things rock. But if you are doing raw chicken I suggest poultry shears.

I spent a lot of jack on a new Japanese knife set and am very disappointed. Victorinox, in my humble opinion, is the best bang for the buck. I recently picked up a 7" German made Schmidt Brothers knife on clearance at BB&B. It is my favorite all-purpose knife.

I spent a lot of jack on a new Japanese knife set and am very disappointed. Victorinox, in my humble opinion, is the best bang for the buck. I recently picked up a 7" German made Schmidt Brothers knife on clearance at BB&B. It is my favorite all-purpose knife.
What knives did you buy that let you down?

This is my critter dissembley tool of choice [ame="http://www.amazon.com/ZHEN-Japanese-3-Layer-Chopping-Butcher/dp/B00E0EF7OQ/ref=sr_1_19/180-3872262-1091959?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1379381455&sr=1-19"]Amazon.com: ZHEN Japanese VG-10 3-Layer Forged 8-Inch Slicer Chopping Chef Butcher Knife/Cleaver, Large: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

Back