• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chicken anyone...

B

butts

I have a whole chicken procedure that seems to do well in competition but everyone says that chicken thighs are the bomb when it comes to competition. When I cook whole chickens the breast is always the best meat. I'm considering cooking three chickens, removing the breasts from the chickens and serving only the breast meat. In the past I've served sliced breast meat, thighs and legs all in the same box. I truely feel that the breast in best meat on the chicken that I am cooking. So what do you think...I'm competing in Tryon in two weeks and I'm torn about what to do?!?!?!?! Please share your comments.:eek: :eek:

First comp. I ever did I used whole chickens. For a newbie, my chicken was the highest scoring, which wasn't saying much! I now do thighs, you know the old saying, "new and different is scary"! If I had my way, whole chickens would be the norm!

I would say that if you can do breasts and keep them moist and tender most judges would be impressed. They mostly see thighs so GOOD ck beasts usually do well. Not that they should judge breasts better but many do

I did whole chicken at Sugar Creek this year my highest score in chicken. Put in whole peice and fit in sliced breast in the gaps.

If your breasts are what you believe is your best then turn in your best. I am sure the judges would be impressed.

Go for it..

I agree if your breast meat it your best meat then turn in
the breast meat.. Do a couple of practice runs.. I would also make up
a couple of boxes. set them aside for 20 minutes, then retaste the meat
see how much i dries out.. I keep hearing that the Judges are tired of eating
Thighs.. Good luck brother.

Would Cornish Hens be legal in the chicken division, its still poultry just smaller? Wonder how it would be to turn in several of these whole and let the judges pick which part they would want to taste.

Anybody ever tried this? Would really be different when they opened the box.

Would Cornish Hens be legal in the chicken division, its still poultry just smaller? Wonder how it would be to turn in several of these whole and let the judges pick which part they would want to taste.

Anybody ever tried this? Would really be different when they opened the box.

The Four KCBS Meat Categories:

CHICKEN: Chicken includes Cornish Game Hen and Kosher Chicken.

Never tried it, I wish you luck in getting more than 2 birds in a box!

The Four KCBS Meat Categories:

CHICKEN: Chicken includes Cornish Game Hen and Kosher Chicken.

Never tried it, I wish you luck in getting more than 2 birds in a box!

Two birds may be an issue...what about 6 halves??? or even better...quarters

The cornish hen is kinda tough to pull off...small box and they dry out quick.

Thanks for the replies, I post pics after Tryon.

Back