• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cornbread question

if you are cookiing for a hundred and the cornbread is good, you will need quite a large amount take a look at the time involved if you only have a couple iron pans..I use my my large stainless servers..not quite as good as iron but better than tins and you will get done before the beer runs out..

For that many people a sheet pan is a must. I use a 2" because that's what I've got. And yes on the jalapenos and cheese. Bon Appetit!

I have several cornbread stick pans.I think I will just start early and do several batches and freeze,reheat the day of.There is gonna be too much other stuff going on to go to the trouble of cooking it on site.Thanks for the replies.:grin:

Start now and vac seal/freeze with original recipe then defrost/heat and go on the day.

Just a suggestion.

That'll gag a goat! Sorry, cornbread bias creeping in. If it ain't fresh its turkey dressing! :mrgreen:

My recipe is also cornmeal, eggs, buttermilk and a bit of oil (bacon grease is perfect!). 99% of the time I use cast iron. If I was cooking for a bunch and had the right ovens I'd use sheet pans. It might not crust up like the cast iron bread but it would get done and be at the right temp.

As always, YMMV!

That'll gag a goat! Sorry, cornbread bias creeping in. If it ain't fresh its turkey dressing! :mrgreen:

My recipe is also cornmeal, eggs, buttermilk and a bit of oil (bacon grease is perfect!). 99% of the time I use cast iron. If I was cooking for a bunch and had the right ovens I'd use sheet pans. It might not crust up like the cast iron bread but it would get done and be at the right temp.

As always, YMMV!

+1.:mrgreen: I also do the cornmeal, eggs, buttermilk and bacon grease.

If it helps, I used to make mine in a 12" CI skillet. Awhile back, I tried the 10" which made the loaf deeper when baked - but also moister with no problems with the edge getting too done before the center. So using the 15" with extra batter should be fine.

Hoss I'm not sure if I understand the question but I use cast iron skillets to cook my corn bread. I heat the skillet before adding the batter and cook it at high heat for 20 to 25 minutes.. or until the top is nice and golden.

Not sure if that helps you. Your feast sounds really tasty!!

Cowgirl, mind sharing your recipe?

Cowgirl, mind sharing your recipe?

Pmad I found it! :)

1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cups yellow cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1 egg (beaten)
you can add sugar.. up to 3/4 cup (optional)
1/4 cup veggie oil
1/4 cup minced onions
1 cup whole kernals of corn (grilled corn is great too)
minced jalapenos (as many as you like)

I warm the oil in a 10" cast iron skillet, mix the dry ingredients first then the wet...adding the corn, onions and jalapenos last. Pour the warmed oil into the batter and mix well.
Then pour all back into the skillet, bake at 400 degrees F for about 25 minutes.

You can leave the corn, onions and jalapeno out if you want plain cornbread.

I double or triple the recipe as needed.

274667f5-1.jpg

3534919e-1.jpg

Just a note: If you're using a standard household size oven you will need a 3/4 size sheet pan.

Thanks for the recipe Jeanie. That's almost exactly what I do, except I melt Crisco in the skillet and pour back into the batter instead of using vegetable oil.

"Corn bread is not supposed to be sweet. That’s in the Bible, too. The book of Martha White, 7:11.
If you want something sweet, order the pound cake. Anybody who puts sugar in the corn bread is a heathen who doesn’t deserve the Lord, not to mention Southeastern Conference Football." ~ Lewis Grizzard

Thanks Hoss, I just measured one of my skillets, the biggest I've used for cornbread is a 15" one. Turns out fine.
I would think a 17" skillet would be no problem.

I agree with ya, cornbread has to be cooked in C. I. . :grin:

Yup what said here is the rule!!

Assuming 10 servings per pan, and you need 100 to 120 servings, you are looking at having to cook that many loaves. Doable if you have a large amount of oven space. It's a lot of work. I will say though, I have cooked in service pans that were 3" deep, worked fine.

That's what Wifes are for. :pile::bolt:

Absolutely no sugar. No flour either, in mine. Has to be cooked in cast iron. Cornbread has to be round, then cut into pie-wedge shapes to taste right. Rectangular cornbread tastes funny.

Back