First time smoker!!!

J

JoeyP130

Hello all. First timer here. Hoping for some advice help---

My wife gave me an early Father's Day gift this weekend.

A Brinkmann Vertical Charcoal Smoker from Walmart--like 60 bucks.

I used it today and had several problems after I cured it last night. I am hoping for some advice/help info please--

1. Smoker temp--the small book said I need to keep the heat at least at 250F. Wow. That was next to impossible! There doesn't seem to be an easy way to feed charcoal/wood because all the ash stays in the big charcaol bowl. I had to put a grate over it and very carefully dump it to keep the coals but dump all the ash to be able to add more charcoal.

2. Should I drill holes in the bowl so the ash will fall to the bottom?

3. How good is this smoker really for a newcomer? I have plenty of experience grill with charcoal--

4. Is the general rule of thumb about an hour per pound?

Thanks all. Great site and great info! Looks like I will be here awhile reading!

JoeyP

Joey, I have seen that smoker at Walmart. If you are not getting above 250 in that thing, then you probably have poor air circulation.

However, 225 to 250 is ideal for bbq, either brisket pork or ribs. So you may not have a problem. As for having to dump to add more charcoal, you are probably going to have to live with that.

Make sure you have a chimney of hot coals going when you make the switch.

PS, For all of us bandera owners, step one after curing it is throwing away the charcoal grate it came with.

Put a grate over the charcoal bowl. The ash will fall thru, and the lit coals will continue to burn. You have a good smoker to learn with, it is the tool I learned the craft. after a few cooks you will be turning out some great quality Que. I always figure about 1.5 hours per pound.

GOTO cattle call and give yourself an intro. We don't bite, but we will give you lots of good information.

icemn62 said:
Put a grate over the charcoal bowl. The ash will fall thru, and the lit coals will continue to burn. You have a good smoker to learn with, it is the tool I learned the craft. after a few cooks you will be turning out some great quality Que. I always figure about 1.5 hours per pound.

GOTO cattle call and give yourself an intro. We don't bite, but we will give you lots of good information.

Thanks all for the advice.

Icemn62--I really don't understand this? Where do I put the charcoal then? on top of the grate/bowl? If I fill to bowl all the way over the top, it almost reaches the bottom of the water bowl.
--I will take your advice the a go to cattlecall tonight for the intro--

Thanks
Joeyp

The problem with that type of smoker is air flow. It can be overcome with some mods. I (and a lot of others here) used one of those for quite a while and turned out some good Q.

JoeyP130 said:
Thanks all for the advice.

Icemn62--I really don't understand this? Where do I put the charcoal then? on top of the grate/bowl? If I fill to bowl all the way over the top, it almost reaches the bottom of the water bowl.
--I will take your advice the a go to cattlecall tonight for the intro--

Thanks
Joeyp

Joey, with a little looking, you should be able to find a round grate that will fit inside the charcoal pan but not go clear to the bottom of it leaving an ash space beneath the burning coals.

Back