Cooking pulled pork for 80

4uweque

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've been volunteered to cook BBQ for a group of 80 people, I'm planning to smoke 4 8.5 to 9 pound butts. Do you pros think that will be enough?

Depends on how much other food.
Personally, I'd try to hit about 50 pounds raw weight. I get about 60% so that would be 30# cooked x 3 orders per pound would give me about 90 sandwiches. But YMMV!

i personally always figure 1lb per person raw meat. so I would go for 80lbs raw weight figuring 50% loss that would give everyone a good 8oz portion. Some will eat more some less depending on the crew your feedin

Thanks for the #s guys, I'm gonna grab some more meat, the last thing I want to do is run outta food.

1.0 - 1.25 pounds raw per person total. Maybe 1.5 if you want to give them take home bags.

Not enough go with the above recommendation 50lbs raw meat.

I think Michael is write on. My uncle was a professional chef. He always told me 8 to 10 oz of meat per person (cooked). So the fact he estimating about 1 lb raw sounds right.

i personally always figure 1lb per person raw meat. so I would go for 80lbs raw weight figuring 50% loss that would give everyone a good 8oz portion. Some will eat more some less depending on the crew your feedin

That is the way I figure also, leftovers are a good thing.

I use this
Number of people served X serving size X 2 divide by 16 = pounds raw meat.
Based on 50% yield bone in butt

Tomorrow is the day, I'll let you know how it goes. I have 54 raw pounds of shoulder, and I'm firing up the smoker now!

• Thanks
Reactions: pwa
54 pounds is what I started with, I had maybe 1/2 a tray left over, it was perfect. Thanks for all the advise!

Back