• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pit Barrel Cooker

For reasons unknown to me, I have been considering a second fire basket, that would be taller and narrower than the one I currently have. Maybe this is why.

subscribed.

i am extremely close to ordering this cooker after much research. but i have to read through this thread first in case there are problems with the cooker.

I use the hanging method in my WSM for ribs, roasts, and chicken, personally think it's the way to go, all come out with good color and very tasty. I would like a PBC but the weber with the rack works just like it I believe, also the cooks are faster than on the grates.

subscribed.

i am extremely close to ordering this cooker after much research. but i have to read through this thread first in case there are problems with the cooker.

Pull the trigger and order the PBC! I purchased mine last spring and could not be happier. The only issue that some folks have had is rusting of the powder coat finish. Now that they have upgraded to a porcelain finish, you can't go wrong. Wish they offered that when I was in the market. Just my two cents but I think you will be very happy if you go with the PBC. Best of luck and happy cooking!

Pull the trigger and order the PBC! I purchased mine last spring and could not be happier. The only issue that some folks have had is rusting of the powder coat finish. Now that they have upgraded to a porcelain finish, you can't go wrong. Wish they offered that when I was in the market. Just my two cents but I think you will be very happy if you go with the PBC. Best of luck and happy cooking!

if i wanted to cook just a chicken and a rack of ribs i assume i have to still use a full 8lbs of kingsford. so if after the meat is done i can snuff out the coals, and then reuse them for next cook, even though some might be partly used? or would i have to use unused kingsford for each cook?

im looking at this or a wsm

if i wanted to cook just a chicken and a rack of ribs i assume i have to still use a full 8lbs of kingsford. so if after the meat is done i can snuff out the coals, and then reuse them for next cook, even though some might be partly used? or would i have to use unused kingsford for each cook?

im looking at this or a wsm

I have had success snuffing out the coals by closing off the rebar holes with small magnets and the bottom vent with a piece of foil secured by a couple of magnets. Fire goes out pretty quickly, which is also helpful if you want to cover the PBC or store it without having to wait for all the coals to burn out. For my next cook I make sure I remove all of the ash and any really small coals before adding new ones.

Another tip is to line the bottom of the pit with a layer of HD foil before you add the basket. It really makes cleanup much easier and cleaner. Carefully remove the foil and dispose of the ashes. Otherwise you have to turn the unit over and dump it which gets kind of messy. Just make sure the foil does not block the bottom vent.

If you love great bbq but don't want to spend much time tending the fire, get the PBC. If you want to be more hands on and monitor your cook, you may want to go with the WSM. Be sure to let us know what you decide!

With regards to lighting a basket I use the side to side...lighting my partial burnt coals and chunks letting it burn through the new. The only way that really works is using what I call a holy diffuser, something that will even out the heat. Since pbc doesn't have a spot for a diffuser lighting in the middle makes the most sense to me.

Got my PBC today for Father's Day! I am upgrading from a modded ECB, although I might keep both depending on how things cook. I mostly do pork butts, but will try a brisket next week for the first time.

Cooked two 7 pound pork butts this weekend for graduation party. Pulled pork was a huge success. Smoked tater chips were gone quickly.

One of ours guest cooks whole hog and was amazed I had such great pulled pork from a "tiny little drum smoker". He had to look at and inspect my PBC and loved the fact it was so easy to cook with. He took pix and got info on how to buy a PBC. Dont think he belived me that it runs 250 -275 for 5 hours with a full load of KBB.

I might have made a sale!

Last edited:
Back