• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket request please

Titch

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
:oops:
Yep another question about Brisket.
Could some one put up or link to a mercan brisket being removed from a carcass.
My butcher has no idea what an American brisket is.
I have discussed this with a few butchers and they can get a bit narky when you request something foreign

I googled and really didn't find anything. Maybe this will help?

cssi-primal-cuts-of-beef.gif

beefcuts.jpg

2352 is what you want
http://www.icmj.com.au/Download documents/muscle_2chuckbladebrisket.pdf

Here is the American version with a very technical description:

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELDEV3003281

Page 37

Item No. 120 - Beef Brisket, Deckle-Off, Boneless - This item is as described in Item No. 119 except that the deckle (hard fat and M. intercostales interni on the inside surface) shall be removed at the natural seam exposing the lean surface of the M. pectoralis profundi. The hard fat along the sternum edge shall be trimmed level with the boned surface. The inside lean surface shall be trimmed practically free of fat.

Peruse these pictures and tell me how close we are please.
First lot is a Full Australian Brisket so I am told.

Thickest part would be 2 1/2 inches dressed.

Next pieces.

About 3 inches thick

An American brisket and an Australian brisket are the same! I cannot understand your problem. There is a difference between trimmed & untrimmed!
John

009Medium_zps160048b2.jpg

From what I see, you have split the brisket in half, the side on the left is part of the flat, and the full point. The part on the right is the flat. You appear to have cut directly through the middle of what we call the flat of the brisket, crossways. This, if it had not been split, would have been what we call a packer brisket.

It looks like they have taken the point off and what you have is what we call the flat.

Yes but you can buy with or without the point or just buy the point. Still same brisket Aussie and U.S.
John

I have purchased point end brisket and whole brisket from Vic's Meat a wholesaler in Sydney. Their phone app notes:
Naval End Brisket
An inexpensive cut that is fatty and fibrous, but when carefully handled, can be trimmed to reveal a special piece of meat called the short plate. The short plate can be cured, braised or rolled as a traditional brisket dish, slow cooked in stock with herbs. This cut is often hand tied to hold its shape.
Point End Brisket
This is a section of the brisket that runs up to the front of the animal and is naturally larger but leaner than the navel end. More sought after than the navel end, the point end brisket is wonderful if rolled and tied, then slowly braised in stock to release flavour from the meat and break down the connective fibres giving a luscious texture.

John

JohnHB
I am not fortunate enough to live close to an area where you can get gourmet cuts to order.
I am lucky if One in Ten even speak English.
Hence I come on here asking for help and pictures.
Thanks for your thoughts anyhow.

Wahoo ,won the lotto.
Had an expert show me the Brisket and point out the pieces.
You guys rock sometimes.
Now tonight I picked up 27 kilo of Brisket.

One special one to play with.

After getting this lot I wonder if the previous pieces are worth using .
Thoughts

Anyone notice what Madman's beef butcher chart said about Brisket? "Braise, cook in liquid"

While my packer sitting on my drum RIGHT NOW, may braise for a bit when I wrap it, I will maintain that it was "smoked" ;)

Back