Makin' Bacon (w/ PrOn)

"Bone to Bark" BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Started with a 7.25# pork belly, made up a curing rub, split it into two pieces, rubbed, wrapped and now the hard part.... WAITING! Gonna smoke it after curing with some hickory and apple wood!

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 354
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 352
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 353
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 353
Would you mind sharing the curing rub?

I just finally found a pork belly. I can't pass up for $2.19 a pound, its an 8 pounder.

Thanks

Actually, my curing rub was very simple. For a 7# pork belly, I used:

1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp. black pepper
3 tbsp. real maple syrup (optional)

Tomorrow is 7 days, and I might have to smoke them by Wed. or Thursday. I can't wait much longer. I will hot smoke them since cold smoking is mostly done during the actual curing process. I will smoke til the IT reaches 150, then cool and they're ready to slice.

Actually, my curing rub was very simple. For a 7# pork belly, I used:

1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp. black pepper
3 tbsp. real maple syrup (optional)

Tomorrow is 7 days, and I might have to smoke them by Wed. or Thursday. I can't wait much longer. I will hot smoke them since cold smoking is mostly done during the actual curing process. I will smoke til the IT reaches 150, then cool and they're ready to slice.

So no curing salt (Cure#1 or TQ)? Interesting. Does it taste/look diff than nitrite cured bacon?

No curing salt.... The look isn't much different than store bought bacon, and as far as taste, I just pulled one piece out of the bag and rinsed it really good. Dried it and sliced a couple slices and fried it up. Of course I haven't smoked it yet, so it didn't have that classic bacon taste, but I was mainly checking for the saltiness. I discovered that I need to soak it for an hour or so, which is what I'm doing now, and I'll probably smoke this piece tomorrow with applewood!

No curing salt.... The look isn't much different than store bought bacon, and as far as taste, I just pulled one piece out of the bag and rinsed it really good. Dried it and sliced a couple slices and fried it up. Of course I haven't smoked it yet, so it didn't have that classic bacon taste, but I was mainly checking for the saltiness. I discovered that I need to soak it for an hour or so, which is what I'm doing now, and I'll probably smoke this piece tomorrow with applewood!

Cant wait to hear how it tastes vs using curing salt.

Ok, here's half the pork belly, fresh off the smoker. Did it with hickory & applewood. Hopefully we're gonna have some for breakfast Saturday! I still have another half to smoke Saturday..... can't wait!

Attachments

• 2-27-13 001.jpg
    2-27-13 001.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 2-27-13 004.jpg
    2-27-13 004.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 2-27-13 007.jpg
    2-27-13 007.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 73
That looks real good.
I just started a a pork belly for the first time. I think mine was a lot thinner. Maybe I need to find another place. That looks pretty thick.

I wonder if I shouldn't cure for a full 7 days since seems thinner.

That looks real good.
I just started a a pork belly for the first time. I think mine was a lot thinner. Maybe I need to find another place. That looks pretty thick.

I wonder if I shouldn't cure for a full 7 days since seems thinner.
I don't think 7 days would be too long, but you could try for 5.

Back