Cooking/grilling fish

Big slick

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I came into an abundance of fish filets and have no real idea how to cook them. I have cooked fish in the past, but I really don't want to blacken everything.

Here is what I got to play with. Walleye fillets, grouper fillets, and tuna steaks. Plus a bag of raw shrimp.

I'm looking for new ideas. I really don't want to smoke the fish. I'm suppose to cook this all up for dinner this weekend and as of now I can only think of blackening the fish. What other ways can I cook these fish?

Skewer, season, and grill the shrimp - ala shrimp on the barbie. Or, do a boil.

I use a cast iron griddle on my gasser to flat top grill a lot of fish. The flakier stuff will tear up on regular grates. Butter or oil on the cast iron and just a bit of seasoned salt for us. I cook hot to get a slight crust on the fish.

Tuna, salmon, mahi, all cook well just on the grill grates. Medium high heat. I season only with a little olive oil (or PAM) and season salt. We keep it real simple.

Good luck. Grilled seafood is great.

The tuna is a fish that you can grill to a medium, if it gets overcooked it will get dry in a heartbeat. I like my tuna grilled after its rolled in sesame seeds and has a dipping sauce of sesame oil, soy sauce, finely chopped green onion, and a little bit of sugar to balance everything out.

The grouper fillets if they are thick enough should grill up easy as well. Pick a BBQ rub, or go with a mix of lemon pepper and garlic powder. Maybe a slight hint of old bay. Just enough to make you wonder what it is.

Walleye? Cant help you there never had it.

Shrimp? Skewer them and come up with a spicy sauce loaded with minced garlic. Like... A basic BBQ sauce with sriracha and a heap of garlic. Throw em on the grill after covering in the sauce.

I love fish on GrillGrates. Panko breaded, asian style with oil, sesame oil, ginger... yum.

Shrimp and sausage kabobs are a big hit at my house. Beer batter shrimp for po boy sandwishes.

Been on a fish taco kick lately, too... with tuna, big taste.

Is it lunch yet?

I like to wrap fragile fish filets in re-hydrated cornhusks. They still get good grill flavor, but the husk protect them from direct fire. I brush the filets with a mixture of Mayo, lemon juice, garlic, minced green onions, parsley and spices prior to wrapping them. Since the mayo is mostly oil, it melts away leaving the fish moist and flavorful.

Fish1.jpg

Fish2.jpg

Fish3.jpg

You can do something close to blackening called bronzing. It is 2 parts brown sugar to 1 part blacken seasoning. Then you can pan sear it or grill it with the seasoning. It gives you the sweet/spicy profile. it works great with Tuna and Mahi.

You can also do things such as a lemon juice, butter, white wine sauce which goes well with most seafoods and simply grill or pan fry the fish and finish with the sauce.

Another technique which I love to do, is basting. Use some thyme, salt, pepper, and either butter or olive oil (your choice) and put in the pan with the fish. Tilt the pan so that the fish is towards the top of the pan and continuously spoon the oil/butter from the bottom of the pan onto the fish.

Get a black iron skillet, get some butter just hot enough to not burn, and sear the tuna steaks to medium, with just a dash of salt, pepper, cayanne, garlic powder. You can do the same with the grouper if they are thick enough.

Great advice all, and foil is great for protecting the juiciness too, in envelopes.
IMMAY's point about tuna is spot on, it dries out SO FAST!

My rule for tuna is I have to be assured of its freshness and quality, I put the oiled fish on super hot flip it 4 times and it is done.
Seared outer, that is all.
The common mistake is overcooking so be aware of that with all fish, they need to be juicy or they are not appetizing at all.

^^^ looks like that tuna has a pair of yellow sunglasses in its mouth. Were they attached to someone? :shock:

Its a rope the deck hands tie on. They use it to help lift the tuna out of the fish holds. You can see them better here.

DSC_8606copy.jpg

Jerry

Absolutely positively do NOT overcook the tuna. It is not like anything else and will overcook easy. Use high heat and just sear, maybe 30 seconds per side. It should be red in the middle or it tastes like what you get in the can. Shrimp also overcook easily and turn to rubber. I usually do about 2 minutes per side. You want to remove just as they lose their translucence.

Its a rope the deck hands tie on. They use it to help lift the tuna out of the fish holds. You can see them better here.

DSC_8606copy.jpg

Jerry

Great looking tuna you caught there. I miss working at the restaurant I was at when I was younger. We had the charter sports fishing boats docked about 10ft from the restaurant. I would get the fishermen to come up for some beers during happy hour while their fish got butchered. I would buy the fishermen beers in trade for fresh fish. I would go home with whole loins of tuna and ziplock with huge mahi fillets.

Back