• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Weekend cook 5/6,5/7

Kevin

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
A whole lotta butts. Got 6 butts to cook for a graduation reception in 2 weeks. Going to cook ahead and vaccu suck / freeze. They won't all fit in the queer at once so I'm planning on doing 4 Saturday and 2 Sunday (they come in 2 packs). If 4 fit. If not I'll put one back in the fridge and do 3 each day. Big Bob Gibson's injection and Jack's Old South rub. Yes captain cryovac, I will try to remember to drain the grease when cooking so much pork.

512lbs pork loins and 900 hamburgers for a souixfall canaries and saint paul saints expitdition game tailgate party last night wow was that a long day. this was for 5/5/06

Hey, Ya'll, It's me, the crazyo'.
I have 2 Butts, 2 Salmon Halves, 3 racks O' Baby Backs and 2 large Chucky Roasts on the Ol' Lang right now and the smoke she is a rollin'!!!!!
Guess I am having a PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hope all of you have a GREAT weekend and a safe one, too.
Smoke On!!!!!!
Crazy Ed

Man I love playing with fire. Started a new job 2 weeks ago and I'm a little stressed about that. First cook since then. Wireless laptop on the patio, sweet blue in the air, a glass of fine Canadian whiskey, SRV on the juke box, 70* and not a cloud in the sky. It doesn't get any better than this. Well maybe it does. Started butts at 2:00 pm. Looks like I have an excuse to stay out here half the night. I'm a happy camper.

So I start a cook and of course it farking RAINS... AGAIN. Anyway, I'm doing two practice pork butts and 12 huge split boobs with a half dozen legs. The yard bird is all about done for dinner but the butts are only at 165. Just wrapped them a few minutes ago.

Will be shoving beer into the butts of two chickens tomorrow. Also planning on stuffing some japs with an italian sausage/mexican cheese mix. I think I will go by the grocery store in the AM and pick up some bacon to wrap the peppers in. The hard part will be to hide all of this after they are done. My son eats em like they are candy. Wonder where he got that trend from?

Last edited:
icemn62 said:
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

this explains A LOT!!!

I cooked 5 baby backs in rib racks for 6 hours at 225 without foiling and they were the best I've done so far. The racks were seasoned with Grub Rub and cooked with R.O. lump and pecan wood. I did loosely cover all of them (racks and all) with a single piece of foil after 4 hours. I periodically would lift the foil and spray all of the ribs with apple juice, so they did sorta get steamed somewhat. Very good texture, tenderness, appearance and flavor. It is a lot easier to cook them without foiling.

Most of my prior ribs that I have foiled have turned out to be too tender and were somewhat mushy. The bones would literally fall out of the rack. I know I must have cooked those too long. But, I'm still learnin.....

Dakaty said:
I did loosely cover all of them (racks and all) with a single piece of foil after 4 hours.

I am going to have to try that. I tried foiling a few times and they ended up a little too cooked so I keep going back to no foil.

In search of the perfect rib......I hope it takes forever.:-D

Solidkick said:
Veggie burgers in the microwave today.......

That's just wrong, Kick! :-D

Pizza yesterday, Garlic Pork Loin and two fatties today. I'm going to make some smashed taters with roasted garlic and blue cheese and some cole slaw to go with the pork loin.

bbqinNC

I used a large sheet of the wide, heavy duty Reynolds AF and formed a "square lid" that fit loosely over both metal rib racks that held the 5 BBs. The foil held in steam and heat while keeping the ribs from over smoking.

This is the first time I have tried this method and it sure seems to work well. Plus you can re use the AF to wrap the left overs in.

I need to remember to take pictures!!

Just finished some veggies, chorizo, and shrimp. Getting ready to throw on some skinnys ( sausage links and bacon) and a 5 lb ribeye roast using the Grand Poohbahs recipe for prime rib. I will post some pics in about an hour.

Here is the pics of veggies chorizo and shrimp. Marrinated the veggies and sausage in Italian dressing and the shrimp in lemon pepper seasoning.

Attachments

• Pic027.jpg
    Pic027.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Pic029.JPG
    Pic029.JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Pic031.JPG
    Pic031.JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 19
Looks good! I have the same grill basket! It works great for smoked peanuts, too!

Fatties are wrapped. one Italian for spaghetti on Tuesday and one maple for breakfast during the week.

The pork loin is also wrapped at 140 degrees with some of the reduced marinade and back in the cooker.

Back