Which do you prefer, butter or margarine?

Butter. Except for the extremely rare specific instances where I want to use margarine.

Take the churned sweet cream and salt and leave the plastic alone...

There was a huge mis-information campaign put out in the 1960's that claimed consumption of saturated fat from animals was the main ingredient to cardiac disease. Then they went further to proclaim that MARGARINE was the cure all.

Follow the dollars folks. An industry (vegetable oil industry wants to move more product) creates it's own "news". And the lemmings follow......

You like clogged arteries? That is just the start of the damage that trans-fats will do to your body. Look like based on some of the responses, the deadly goop has gotten to some of your brains.

Fast forward to now: You'd be hard pressed to find ANY nutritionist that would prescribe the "fake" butters over the real thing. Our body just does not know what to do with transfats. Unlike other substances that ARE water soluble, this stuff just finds a crevice and hunkers down and kills you after enough is eaten.

I like the butter. Is there a reason one would use margarine over butter, like when foiling ribs?

I like the butter. Is there a reason one would use margarine over butter, like when foiling ribs?

NO........

Try using the drippings from your Pork Shoulder low and slow cook. I use a drip pan for the 1st 8 hours of a 16 hour cooking session to catch that golden delicious rendered fat and save it for just such an occasion. It does not take much to bring the "juicy life" back into the ribs this way.

NO........

Try using the drippings from your Pork Shoulder low and slow cook. I use a drip pan for the 1st 8 hours of a 16 hour cooking session to catch that golden delicious rendered fat and save it for just such an occasion. It does not take much to bring the "juicy life" back into the ribs this way.

Nice! Thanks for that tip. I'll be trying that for sure this weekend. At least the gathering of the fat anyway.

Thank you for posting. This is pretty much what I was trying say, yours just sounded more professional and had more class. haha

There was a huge mis-information campaign put out in the 1960's that claimed consumption of saturated fat from animals was the main ingredient to cardiac disease. Then they went further to proclaim that MARGARINE was the cure all.

Follow the dollars folks. An industry (vegetable oil industry wants to move more product) creates it's own "news". And the lemmings follow......

You like clogged arteries? That is just the start of the damage that trans-fats will do to your body. Look like based on some of the responses, the deadly goop has gotten to some of your brains.

Fast forward to now: You'd be hard pressed to find ANY nutritionist that would prescribe the "fake" butters over the real thing. Our body just does not know what to do with transfats. Unlike other substances that ARE water soluble, this stuff just finds a crevice and hunkers down and kills you after enough is eaten.

^^^^
What mtbchip said. :clap:

Margarine compared to butter is very cheap to make. Its basically vegetable oil that has been pushed together with extreme pressure so instead of it being a runny oil it is spreadable like warm butter. Color and flavor is than added back in to make it look and hopefully taste like butter.

Everyone has the right to put what they want into their bodies. My family and I try to stick to home-cooked as much as possible. Home cooking even if used with margarine instead of butter is a lot more healthier than eating at fast food establishments. Less processed will always be better to heavily processed. <---:blah:

Sorry for the ranting. Just my opinion.

For what?

Grilled Cheese - I Can't Beleive It's not Butter Spray
(laugh all you want, you can't spread butter as even and smooth on white bread as you can spray it, and 0 calories! TRY IT!)

Veggies (including corn on the cob and foil packs) - Butter

Texas Crutch - I've tried both Squeeze Parkay and Butter - Both seem to work, but squeeze parkay is mighty convenient, and it soaks up the brown sugar right away and makes it stick in place

Ingredient - Lighter margarine like Country Crock - less calories, usually can't tell the difference.

Back