• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Gimme your top 10 in BBQ...

Southern Krunk BBQ Societ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So, who do you think are the top ten teams in bbq at this moment. Not the KCBS top 10 or the IBCA etc, but the 10 teams you would hate to see cooking against you at your comp. You know 'em, so show 'em.... And as you know, the emphasis is "at this moment"...just curious....SKBS

Who do you think? You'll probably be hard pressed to get a bunch of top ten lists. That's a lot of thinking :razz:.

I fear no man! There are a lot of great teams.
+1
A few teams that always do well at cookoffs we go to are
1. You kill it we grill it
2. Wild bunch
3. Kowboy cookers
4. lee county outlaws
5. Po meskin cookers

I assume by this you mean "There goes my chance at grand" moment when you show up at the comp and see them. For me it is Gateway Drum Smoker (or whatever name they are going under for the comp), St. Louis Black Iron BBQ, Blazing Blues, and 4 Smokin' Butts.

Who do you think? You'll probably be hard pressed to get a bunch of top ten lists. That's a lot of thinking :razz:.

I can name a lot of KCBS and IBCA teams, but don't know much about the other sanctioning entities.

From my experience:

Any Oklahoma guy cooking with a barrel, any team from Iowa that travels two state lines away, any Texas team cooking in Texas just to name some examples!

That said, I think Ronnie Wade is one of the top IBCA cookers and I would really struggle to name 10 teams as you mentioned.

Just trying to generate a little bbq discussion. Also, may be trying work with someone
in Hot Springs to do an "all star" bbq event, but kinda hard to name who those teams would be (and no SKBS is not in that league, but we are working on it :becky:)

Curious what the MBN, Lonestar guys, etc have to think....SKBS

> you would hate to see cooking against you at your comp.

I know, I'm bass-ackwards, BUT I dont go to competitions UNLESS some or most of these guys are there. Otherwise, IMHO, why compete? Might as well continue to play T-ball... If you're in this hobby to win money, you're in the wrong hobby. I can show you many ways to make a LOT more money with a lot less invested and a good bid less time/effort... But, if you're there to compete, then why not compete against the very best?

Around here there are plenty of solid competitors; year in and year out. I like it when we Jack's Old South, and Bub-Ba-Q, Holy Smokes (all 3 seen on Pitmasters), Bubba Grills, Dixie Q, Boggy Pond (GC'd MIM a while back), and I could go on and on.

I'd have to say Gilley's should be somewhere on this list, at the moment. 4 comps so far and 2 GC's, an RGC and 3rd overall. The FOG is on fire........

Uhhhh, I think you guys may be missing the point here. He wants a list of the best (as identified by other teams) so they can be invited to an all-star event. Pretty much the opposite of avoiding competition.

Yeah Ronnie Wade should be there. Excellent cook.

Uhhhh, I think you guys may be missing the point here. He wants a list of the best (as identified by other teams) so they can be invited to an all-star event. Pretty much the opposite of avoiding competition.

Yeah Ronnie Wade should be there. Excellent cook.

They may be off target, but I don't see any mention in the OP of an invitational...

So, who do you think are the top ten teams in bbq at this moment. Not the KCBS top 10 or the IBCA etc, but the 10 teams you would hate to see cooking against you at your comp. You know 'em, so show 'em.... And as you know, the emphasis is "at this moment"...just curious....SKBS

I only know teams who cook in KCBS comps so I really can't talk about other bodies with any knowledge. I'm also more familiar with the midwest teams but know teams from other areas by reputation only, so it's hard to make a list of the 10 best. Plus, someone always feels left out with this sort of thing.

These teams haunt me at every comp I go to, In no particular order,

Pigskin
Swine Assassins
Grills gone Wild Iowa
Quau
Big Tz's
Tippy Canoe
Lucky's Q
Shiggin & Grinnin
Ponderosa
A boy and his BBQ
Iowa Smoky D's

So I can't look at it like I hate seeing any team at comps. But instead, if I am lucky enough to
get a call, I know I cooked great that day! Or mabey I just like getting my butt kicked.

Last edited:
These teams haunt me at every comp I go to, In no particular order,

Pigskin
Swine Assassins
Grills gone Wild Iowa
Quau
Big Tz's
Tippy Canoe
Lucky's Q
Shiggin & Grinnin
Ponderosa
A boy and his BBQ
Iowa Smoky D's

So I can't look at it like I hate seeing any team at comps. But if I am lucky enough to
get a call, I know I cooked great that day! Or mabey I just like getting my butt kicked.

Agreed

Mid-Atlantic Specific:

Cool Smoke
PA Midnight Smokers
Jacked Up
Lo'N'Slow
Chix Swine & Bovine
Cool Smoke
Gone Hoggin
Checkered Pig
Dizzy Pig
Black Cat

*Notable Mention: Cool Smoke

If your not on the list, sorry, no disrespect intended. Been down south so much, I probably forgot, but I'm sure you'll remind me soon :p

Back