How long can I hold Pork Butts safely?

smokeyokie

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am going to cook 100lbs of pork butt for a friends daughters wedding. The reception starts at 7 on sat., I was planning on having the butts done and wrapped in preheated ice chests by 3-4 o'clock, does this sound OK or is that too long to hold in ice chest? Any suggestions are appreciated, Also I was goint to leave the butts whole and let the caterer pull when need, what do you think about that.. Thanks in advance

You will be fine, just keep above 135 degrees. I have cooked 10 butts before and 10 hours later they would still be so hot in a cooler you could not pull them by hand with out gloves.

You will be fine, just keep above 135 degrees. I have cooked 10 butts before and 10 hours later they would still be so hot in a cooler you could not pull them by hand with out gloves.
my hands and i can vouch for that..i did 4 butts over the 4th of july..rested em in a cooler for 4 hrs..when i started pullin em,i think i got 3rd degree burns on my hands..that chit was HOT!!! could have rested em 4 more hrs.. you'll be fine bro:thumb:

Yes, you will be fine with the pre heated insulated cooler. I save my hands by putting on cotton gloves first and then the latex ones over that. Still it can be pretty warm, but not burning hot. Best of luck to you!

I'm cooking in a small contest in October. Wondering if 2 butts would be enough for 100 samples or if I should go with 3. Also, does anyone on here rent a camper?

I had 3 butt in wrapped in foil and in a cooler for 7 hours(I kinda forgot about them) and they were still well above the minimum temperature.

Back