Earl's Inaugural Wood Fired Pizza

Great looking pie! I wish I would take the time to make my own dough but I just do not. I think spreading out he coals would be beneficial on getting the uniformed crust.

Great looking pie! I wish I would take the time to make my own dough but I just do not. I think spreading out he coals would be beneficial on getting the uniformed crust.
My wife is gonna try making dough for the next time, just wanted to get one under the belt before venturing too much...

Hey Peeps, I have a request. Make a Reuben Pizza and post up some pics while you are practicing. I've seen one somewhere and your atypical dough sprinkled with caraway seeds to mimic rye bread would be killer. Corn beef or pastrami, Swiss and s-kraut oh my. Back when I had good knees the wife and I spent a lot of time in Red River NM. There was a pizza shop there for a couple of seasons and your pizza looked identical to what they sold.

Hey Peeps, I have a request. Make a Reuben Pizza and post up some pics while you are practicing. I've seen one somewhere and your atypical dough sprinkled with caraway seeds to mimic rye bread would be killer. Corn beef or pastrami, Swiss and s-kraut oh my. Back when I had good knees the wife and I spent a lot of time in Red River NM. There was a pizza shop there for a couple of seasons and your pizza looked identical to what they sold.
Interesting, though neither I or my wife are fans of Reubens, so I don't see it happening in the next run or three :wink:

Looks like you got the desired results, that is a great looking pizza.

A couple of questions. What is the paper between the pie and the stone and what was your fuel?

Looks like you got the desired results, that is a great looking pizza.

A couple of questions. What is the paper between the pie and the stone and what was your fuel?
Thanks! The paper is parchment paper. I don't have a peel, so I prepped everything on the parchment paper then pulled it after a couple minutes on the stone.

Fuel was hickory and oak.

Great post. After living in Italy for seven years I've had some of the best pizzas ever. And almost every one of them was made in a wood fired oven. The searing heat hitting the bottom crust turns the moisture in the dough to steam, giving a quick rise while crisping the bottom of the crust and imparting a nice smoky flavor. That's how the word NIVARNA was invented. Thanks for the post and stiring up memories.

Nirvana pretty much sums it up. !!

Peeps- that looks great. Being a chef for over 30 years pizza is my thing. When we made pizza at our restaurant my deck would be around 650 degrees so your temp is about right. We did every thing by 100 weights but I have broken down the dough recipe to make it easier for home use. This will make two 12-14 inch pizzas.

3½ cups (16 ounces) high-gluten flour (Only Tipo“00” flour such as Caputo flour can be used if making Neapolitan pizza).

9 ounces warm water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon instant yeast
¾ teaspoon salt

In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix on low speed until ingredients come together and form a scrappy dough. Add olive oil and mix for a few seconds longer until it's incorporated into the dough. Switch to the dough hook attachment and set mixer to medium speed. Allow mixer to knead the dough for a full 15 minutes at which time it should pass a windowpane test. Place dough in a large oiled bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Place dough in the refrigerator for 24 hours. This is the trick that most home cooks don’t do. The dough needs to rise slow and cold to give it that NY style crust.
Make sure that your stone is in the grill for at least 15 minutes before you slab the pizza. The grill may be 650 but the stone also needs to be that temp.

Peeps- that looks great. Being a chef for over 30 years pizza is my thing. When we made pizza at our restaurant my deck would be around 650 degrees so your temp is about right. We did every thing by 100 weights but I have broken down the dough recipe to make it easier for home use. This will make two 12-14 inch pizzas.

3½ cups (16 ounces) high-gluten flour (Only Tipo“00” flour such as Caputo flour can be used if making Neapolitan pizza).

9 ounces warm water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon instant yeast
¾ teaspoon salt

In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix on low speed until ingredients come together and form a scrappy dough. Add olive oil and mix for a few seconds longer until it's incorporated into the dough. Switch to the dough hook attachment and set mixer to medium speed. Allow mixer to knead the dough for a full 15 minutes at which time it should pass a windowpane test. Place dough in a large oiled bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Place dough in the refrigerator for 24 hours. This is the trick that most home cooks don’t do. The dough needs to rise slow and cold to give it that NY style crust.
Make sure that your stone is in the grill for at least 15 minutes before you slab the pizza. The grill may be 650 but the stone also needs to be that temp.
Thanks for the recipe! I'll task Tasha with whipping this up one day!

Back