General cooking knives

I'm getting tired of my sub part cooking knives that I have.... Today it was tough to cut up a measly onion. It's really farking me off, hehe

I am looking at the Victorinox cooking knives and they seem to be pretty decent.

Any recommendations on a general purpose knife, cleaver and paring knife along with a knife block or are knife blocks no good?

If you buy top quality you get a joyful tool for life.
If the budget won't stretch and you need cheapies, Victorinox are good bang for your buck.
Last time I checked which steel they were using, it was a brittle tool steel so be careful of frozen food or bones.
Kiwi brand make some useful cleavers.
You would be advised to by a Japanese whetstone, a dual 1000/4000 grit and practise sharpening as it will keep you happy with whatever you buy.
Cheaper, easier and way way faster than knife sharpening systems.
Checking out handles and knife feel is great if you can access them.

The Fibrox/victorinox are a great buy for the$$. I have an 8" OXO chef knife that's a pretty good tool also for a lower budget, and was highly recommended by cooks illustrated. Both have handles that are easy to hold even with wet or greasy hands.

But my Shun Ken Onion is my favorite for all purpose kitchen use. I also am recently enamored with the Richmond Addict from chefknives to go(maybe with tax return?)

But I mostly keep my pricier knives at home, and take my cheapies to comps.

On the other, cheaper end, for general kitchen use, the kiwi knives (use the search function) from the wok shop are a great, inexpensive buy. And a magnet is less hard on your knives than a block.

Sam's Club bakers and chef line are OK too for inexpensive knives

The pull through ceramic or carbide sharpeners work OK but can eventually thin your edge to where its vulnerable to cracking.

RonL is right....try a bunch and see how they feel in your hand, and pic what feels best as an extention of your hand

For the money I don't know if you can beat Victorinox I love mine. I bought a really expensive Japanese set that I won't mention the name of, super disappointed. I'm probably going to return them and pick up some Wusthof.

For the money I don't know if you can beat Victorinox I love mine.

I just recently bought a Victorinox for cutting down butts/briskets, etc. It's been great & was recommended from a butcher friend. Great for this purpose & priced right.

I have a full midrange Henckels set and I am in love with them. Weighty but not heavy and holding their edge well with a regular steeling. They were very pricey but I'm happy as a lark. Good knives really do change the way you feel in the kitchen. I actually enjoy peeling and mincing garlic and onions now.

For the money I don't know if you can beat Victorinox I love mine. I bought a really expensive Japanese set that I won't mention the name of, super disappointed. I'm probably going to return them and pick up some Wusthof.

I'd love to know the brand and set!:twitch:
I went from German & French knives to Japanese.
I have many Japanese brands now, not one of them is less than absolutely exquisite!!
They would be my top recommendation, depending on hand feel.

Now I'm curious what set, I don't think buying sets is a great idea anyways.

I'm getting tired of my sub part cooking knives that I have.... Today it was tough to cut up a measly onion. It's really farking me off, hehe

I am looking at the Victorinox cooking knives and they seem to be pretty decent.

Any recommendations on a general purpose knife, cleaver and paring knife along with a knife block or are knife blocks no good?

I'm all for new toys in the kitchen, but even the best new knives only stay sharp for so long. Get yourself familiar with sharpening a knife. It's not difficult, and it will extend your relationship with whatever knives you buy.

I gotta find me a place that will let me try out some knives or at least hold the package.

I might try on of the Sams Club knives and the worst thing that oculd happen is I mess it up by sharpening it wrong if I try sharpening my self.

Any ideas on certain brands of Whetstones to use?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Swissmar-Bamboo-Magnetic-Knife-Block/dp/B002SQZXWY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362088642&sr=8-1&keywords=magnetic+knife+block"]http://www.amazon.com/Swissmar-Bamboo-Magnetic-Knife-Block/dp/B002SQZXWY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362088642&sr=8-1&keywords=magnetic+knife+block[/ame]

Kind of a cool knife block

If Victorinox knives are in a price range you are comfortable with I don't think you can go wrong. In my 30 years of selling this brand I can't recall anyone coming back to me saying they didn't like there knives. I would recommend an 8" chefs knife a 3 1/2" to 4" paring knife a 6" flexible boning knife and if you don't have a 10" butcher steel I would invest in that also. Unless you have a specific need for a cleaver it wouldn't be on my must have list. I like a butcher block for home knife storage. A knife bag is great if you use your knives away from home. I hope this helps.

There are a lot of good videos on sharpening out there. Google and YouTube are your freinds.

Bestsharpeningstones.com and chefknivestogo.com both have decent stuff for sharpening supplies. From basic stones and strop to japanese choseras.

If you're a bit obsessive like me you might want to look at apex edge pro or wicked edge.

Google wicked edge Richmond addict for an interesting demo!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Back