• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Oh God I hate to ask this....

Yakfishingfool

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Can I cook a butt, foil and rest, then put the butt back in WHOLE to to toughen the outside??? Not asking if you do this but would this be legal if kept whole???

Not only do I think it is legal, but I think there at least a few teams that do this.

I thought with all the BS parting pork discussion that once the butt comes off the fire it can't go back on. But then again, I'm not going back to reread all that crap

Dunno why folks are so confused; the rule is so simple. Put your butt on the cooker and take it off again 100 times if you like, as long as it is WHOLE.

The ruling is you can't divide your pork and return it to the cooker.

Dunno why folks are so confused; the rule is so simple.

No one said anyone was confused. Its a simple matter of improper grammar. The rule as written is flawed. The only way its simple is if you ignore that fact. Also a lot of what you see is tongue and cheek. Everyone here knows that no one is changing anyone's mind on this and it's best left to January when the rules meeting comes up.

The ruling is you can't divide your pork and return it to the cooker.

...from the Quick Notes
"The Board confirmed the previous statement concerning the cooking of pork. Once pork has been cooked, and the cook “prepares the pork” (sliced, pulled, parted etc.) the Pork product is “parted pork” and cannot be placed back in the smoker to re-heat or cook. The Board stated this would be a violation of the rules."

Hey it says to re-heat or cook.....So if my cooker is over 140 and my meat is still over 140 I can put it in the cooker to maintain temperature as long as its not at cooking temperature. Oh wow that's great. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Scott that is now and always has been an acceptable practice. I've heard of a bunch who use it to "re-bark" as someone put it.

I am assuming whole is spelled whole and not hole... so sorry

OK, thread closed ;) Yeah was thinking of "rebarking", Cooked up four butts at home today that turned out fantastic. But would seriously like to see them barked a bit more. Foil vs no foil, man it's all good. go with what works for you. Now water pans....there's an argument we should have ;)

It is OK as long as it is WHOLE. The reason that some people foil is if they use a lot of sugar in their rub helps to keep the sugar from burning.

Yep, absolutely! That's what I do with mine. I treat it like a brisket to firm up the bark and set the glaze. The judges will thank you for it.

John

Hey it says to re-heat or cook.....So if my cooker is over 140 and my meat is still over 140 I can put it in the cooker to maintain temperature as long as its not at cooking temperature. Oh wow that's great. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
QUOTE]
I believe the reps will DQ you for putting any parted meat back into the pit. And the teams that used to do this no longer do it and won't until a rules meeting in January and maybe not even then.

And playing devils advocate how do you know the meat is hotter than the pit temp? Do you temp every piece that goes back into the pit? If not then you can't prove it was hotter than the pit so you are reheating. Again a DQ.

And playing devils advocate how do you know the meat is hotter than the pit temp? Do you temp every piece that goes back into the pit? If not then you can't prove it was hotter than the pit so you are reheating. Again a DQ.

I counter with....Do you know the meat isn't hotter then the pit temp? Will you temp every piece to be sure it is or isn't?

Anybody have some salt and pepper they can spare? I want to eat my gun now.:roll:

I counter with....Do you know the meat isn't hotter then the pit temp? Will you temp every piece to be sure it is or isn't?
But it's the cooks responsibility to know and obey the rules and it's not up to the Reps tp chec everybody. It's the responsibility of the cook once pork is parted to ensure that it is not put back on the pit to reheat or cook more. Therefore the cook must temp to prove it's not cooking.

Bottom line is if you are caught putting pork back on after parting then you will in all likelyhood be DQ'd. Why take the chance.

But it's the cooks responsibility to know and obey the rules and it's not up to the Reps tp chec everybody. It's the responsibility of the cook once pork is parted to ensure that it is not put back on the pit to reheat or cook more. Therefore the cook must temp to prove it's not cooking.

Bottom line is if you are caught putting pork back on after parting then you will in all likelyhood be DQ'd. Why take the chance.

If a competitor temps it and its above 140 and it is not cooking more why can't it go back on the pit. If you don't re heat i.e. cool food and then return to temperature or cook it further then you are still inside the rule aren't you? Whats the difference between that and putting a hot piece of meat in your cambro to raise the temp to "cooking" temp and then putting your pork in there? The new interpretation states "to re heat or cook", if you are doing neither whats the problem?

Can I cook a butt, foil and rest, then put the butt back in WHOLE to to toughen the outside???
Pardon me, but the entire premise of the question was that the butt would be kept whole. Where did all the talk of parting come from?

Just wonderin',
John

Back