• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My BGE Gasket Is Toast

TedW

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
In the back by the hinge. Might be due to the ill-fitting top metal ring. It never seated itself well on the lid. Thinking about cutting the bolt holding the ring and starting over.

Is there a super gasket available aftermarket?

There is a Nomex gasket available thru BGE. How'd it happen?

This is a higher performance gasket? Not sure how this happened other than possibly the bad sitting upper lid band. I never noticed any smoke specifically leaving through the back. I was checking to see if there was a problem but never noticed any smoke escaping

The Nomex gasket is indeed rated to a higher failure temperature.

Is the entire gasket burned or just a small area?

It will turn black, that doesn't meant it is toasted beyond use. When mine got to the point it was bad enough, I called BGE and got a free high heat replacement.

Small area in the back by the hinge. Upper and lower lids in that area.

Just curious because I'm annoying that way, any idea what the temp rating is on these and is there something better that I can buy?

Thanks for the insights.

Edit: the gasket is crispy crumbled and not much there. Today smoke is prominently exiting out the back.

Cutting the bold as I am unable to loosen and adjust the top ring.

If you go to Freds Music and BBQ you can find a good video on changing the gasket. I think smokejumper used a gasket also that would not freeze shut. I think the nomex gasket will do that. Nomex is what Freds video is about

The Nomex gasket is not indestructible. Somehow I have burned through mine. I think the pizza making kick I have been on as of late. Lots of big fires and 700 to 800 degree cooks. I have no complaints about the performance.

You will have bigger problems than a toasted gasket to deal with that might include a trip to the Emergency Room if you cut the hinge band bolt without securing hinge springs.

just sayin'

I havent had a gasket since the second week I owned my egg. Doesnt seem to matter much.

• Thanks
Reactions: pat
"i saw this posted on the bge forum the other day and i just ordered a 0.125" thick 1" x 50' roll. looks to be the exact material sold by bge, but a whole lot cheaper. scroll down to the aramid fabric strips, aka nomex:"
http://www.mcmaster.com/#aramid-fabric/=3eceor

Use 3M Super 77 spray adhesive (HD or Lowes) and make sure you seperate the top and botton. It makes it easier to scrap off and then you can align them better when re-installing. I changed my once and it takes about 1/2 hour, pretty easy. Make sure you zip tie the hinge closed before removing it, makes it real easy to put back together.

This advise is from an old friend of the forum, RTD

I have used both gaskets and personally I'll take the thicker felt-looking gasket that came originally with the egg over the newer nomex. The old style gasket works very well and will last a long time if you keep your egg out of the weather when it's idle. The nomex gasket does not seal tight enough for me and is also thinner. I like a tight seal and that is extremely important if you want to do a low temp burn. A leaky gasket will suck air and you'll go nuts trying to maintain a steady lower temp. Seal is not that important if you are cooking over 300 IMO. The seal failing at the back of the hinge can be minimized by putting the butt joint in front so your seal is continuous at the back. Usually the seal will get forced out there because it's a pinch point. The air will get sucked in more readily on a hotter fire.

Well, I've only had this for two weeks. And now smoke is leaking out the back. I can absolutely appreciate the seal need during low temperature smoking.

Has anyone ever used both seals? One on top of another?

part of my gasket is gone and it is fine for low and slow and high heat. Smoke does leak out. The leak makes it slower to shut it down whern done cooking so I burn more coal otherwise not a problem

Back