My UDS

I was just going to salvage and old gas grill frame with the side tables and set the drum in the middle because that is the limit of my mechanical abilities...when you can do that sort of thing you tend to take on bigger projects.
newgrill_zps0b593c15.jpg
You mean like this??

Yup...that's what I had in mind! Wasn't good enough to please the fabricator part of the old man.

Diggin' those wheels...all-terrain!

Finally got a minute to upload a few photos from the initial run. Didn't get a ton of pics or any of the food in the cooking process but I did get before and after...

A chuck roast, hunk of brisket flat, and two fatties.

photo1-1.jpg

Finished brisket. Soaked it in some RC overnight. Rubbed with some salt, pepper, and some other spices I thought sounded good. Turned out OK. Not too dry but not super juicy either. Cooked to ~165*, foiled to 205*, then rested. This is my 2nd attempt at brisket...way better than the 1st, still need to dial it in though.

brisket.jpg

birksetcut.jpg

Didn't get the chuck roast before I pulled it. Soaked it the night before in Cherry Dr. Pepper, just added a little salt & pepper for spices. Cooked on Sunday, had the chuck roast on Monday night. Left it whole when it came off at ~200*. Got home from work and threw it in the crock pot with some beef broth, Worcestershire, and a Leinenkugel's Creamy Dark (which I don't care to drink..but got stuck with three in the winter sampler pack...worked good for this) let it get warm up and then pulled it. Add some pepperjack cheese with a little peppered-vinegar sauce I made....mmmmm mmmm mmmm farkin' delicious!

chuckiecp.jpg

chuckiesammy.jpg

The fatties didn't make it to their photo op...but they served there purpose!

I still have a lot to learn before I make stuff at the level I've seen here, but I guess it's a start! All the info here has eased my learning curve greatly...much appreciated!

Back