• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoker air intake and exhaust sizes.

tkeen

Reaction score
I am working on a cabinet smoker, and I am confused about the intake and exhaust requirements. My smoker is 24 X 36X 52 inside 44928 cubic inches give or take. Is there some formula that I can use to figure air flow requirements? I want to put a charcoal maze inside it if I can so I dont need an external fire box. Does the smoke need to flow through fast enough to not get stale? I tried to use the calculator but it is for external fire boxes and I don't think it will work for my application. If I have to, I have a small boxwood stove that I can use for a firebox if this doesn't work and I end up making it a stick burner. I really appreciate any help.

Attachments

• DSCF1165.jpg
    DSCF1165.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 183
Good question, I am also curious. Hopefully this bump will get you some feedback from those that are in-the-know. Good luck.

Probably experience where Bludawg got his info, for me I would go 3 in intake with a 4 in exhaust if your going to smoke thru the winter. On some of those cold days I find I need double the intake size I normally use thru spring and fall. Not always, just some days. It is easier to choke the intake down than not be able to get the temp when required. Are you going to close up the extra holes on the side panels? Nice lookin smoker.

I am going to close up every hole I'm not using so that I have complete control over air intake. I have a single 3" exhaust and it is off center on the left side. I would like to add another one in the same spot on the right side. I figured the area of a 4" diameter, and 2 at 2 3/4" would be very close to the same. the intake comes in on the right side near the bottom. I assume that when you say 3" or 4" you mean diameter, and not square inches?? Also I see in the calculator where it gives the length for the exhaust pipe, how do I figure that out? Trial and error? Thanks for the help!! I am itching to get the smoke rolling.

Take a look at Gator Pits site Ritch builds a killer cabinet but it is out of my budget and bigger then I need. Might give you a few ideas.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY0Qk7QkCfQ"]Dual Stacker by Gator Pit of Texas - YouTube[/ame]

Back