Anyone use Cambros ?

Longo1908

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm new to the competition world, and my first one is coming up in about a month. Wondering how I'm gonna hold my meat until turn in, I was looking into Cambros and wondering if anyone here uses them?

Most teams use them and they work excellent. You may even need two. 4 butts 4 ribs and 2 brisket flat is overloaded for just one cambro but if you only cook 2 butts your fine

coolers work wonders as well and cheaper. I will end up with a few Cambros but for now couple of 7 day 180 qt coolers will work just fine, and are cheaper.

pwa

We used coolers in the early years. Now have 2 cambros. Much easier with the pans and ability to slide things in and out. Not necessarily, but nice.

You'll see a lot of teams using them.

Yes I use them.... keep a look out on craigslist under catering supply's. You may find one cheap under there.

We are cheap and bought carlisle which is about 80 bucks cheaper.

Works just as great.

The thing I have always liked versus a cooler is it sits on a table and I can easily grab what I want versus a cooler that I may have to dig through.

Plus if you ever plan on branching into catering they are pretty much going to be a requirement for transporting or holding your food.

we have the 300 cambro with 2 winco stainless 6" pans and lids, best $280 we ever spent for comping. it sits on the table and will hold food for a loooooooong time hot. love how it sits on the table also. here is another tip not sure if people know of it, take your standard table, get some 2"x2' pvc sch40 and lift up your table, awesome for doing all the prep, really saves the back. as far as the cambro goes, we have gotten to where we like finishing way early so we are not rushed. chicken is usually finished 30 min early, ribs, 1 hr and briskie and butts around 5 hrs early. its all about the time management at comps, and i like spending my time drinkin a ice cold miller light!

If it's your first contest a cooler works just as well, just maybe not as convenient. If you plan on doing this a lot, definitely invest in a cambro. Well worth the money.

We have a Carlisle. Works the same as a Cambro camcarrier. I think they are worth every penny. They aren't just for holding hot food. Once we have our big cuts trimmed and season we place them in the Carlisle with a tray of ice in the bottom.

Have a look at Catermax too by Rubbermaid. IMO they are even better than Cambro.

We have a Carlisle. Works the same as a Cambro camcarrier. I think they are worth every penny. They aren't just for holding hot food. Once we have our big cuts trimmed and season we place them in the Carlisle with a tray of ice in the bottom.

Curious why ice on the bottom? I always carry ice on the top for cold carrying since cold air tends to sink while warmer air rises?

I trim at home before the comps and use the Cambro to transport the meats in trays. I surround all the meats with freezer packs and one tray completely full of the ice packs. Then at the comps, the Cambro is used to store the hot meats after cooking. The ice packs go into a cooler instead of having to buy extra ice.

Benny

Curious why ice on the bottom? I always carry ice on the top for cold carrying since cold air tends to sink while warmer air rises?

Condensation drips. I guess I could put a sheet pan under the ice tray but have never had any issue keeping stuff cold with the tray in the bottom

we have the 300 cambro with 2 winco stainless 6" pans and lids, best $280 we ever spent for comping. it sits on the table and will hold food for a loooooooong time hot. love how it sits on the table also. here is another tip not sure if people know of it, take your standard table, get some 2"x2' pvc sch40 and lift up your table, awesome for doing all the prep, really saves the back. as far as the cambro goes, we have gotten to where we like finishing way early so we are not rushed. chicken is usually finished 30 min early, ribs, 1 hr and briskie and butts around 5 hrs early. its all about the time management at comps, and i like spending my time drinkin a ice cold miller light!

Does your bark suffer sitting in foil that long?

I just got a Cambro S-series 400. I like the fact that there is not a gasket to tear or clean around. A single 400 was big enough for us, but we would have probably needed two 300's. I use 2 1/2" deep pans which work well with the 1 1/2" support spacing and are deep enough for foiled pork or brisket. It also has a single latch and no handles protruding from the top.

I struggled all last year with coolers and bought a Cambro this past December. We used it in our first comp this past weekend and it worked like a dream.

I tested it last month - one hotel pan of boiling hot water and the cambro stayed at 150 degrees for over 3 hours. It might have gone longer but I started drinking beer.

Back