Oklahoma joe longhorn baffle

Big Dan

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Does anyone here Have/use one? Mine arrived today. It fits, but one of the grills now does not fit,but I can live with it,it is not that bad.I can still lay meat over it. SO how does your OK J perform with one of these? Better? or no difference?

I have a an old Oklahoma Joe Longhorn. It is 1/4 inch thick and fully welded. It has a welded baffle. I do not use a convection plate. The smoker works great.

Last edited:
I also have one of the old type full 1/4", fully welded OK Joe's. I've not been successful trying to buy a "convection plate" from Horizon for it. Any advice? Maybe just put in tuning plates instead? I need to do something. Near the firebox is pretty much unusable due to the heat.

Big Dan -Pics?

Southstar Jeff - "I've not been successful trying to buy a "convection plate" from Horizon for it."

Do you mean that they don't respond to e-mails/calls? That has been my experience. I inquired about a convection plate for my Klose, but they never responded to me.

I am interested in one, but I'd like to hear about brethren's experiences using them.

David
The Swine Spectator

Interesting. Does your Chuckwagon have the built in baffle? I borrowed my brother's convection plate to see how it would fit in my smoker. It was a perfect fit. I have heard the convection plates are hit or miss and don't always fit. I would have some tuning plates made.

My convection plate works well. The grates got a lot tighter and barely fit, but they do fit.

I didn't have a great experience with Horizon. Emails weren't answered so I had to call. They were good on the phone and I got mine ordered. I called two weeks later because it hadn't arrived yet and they "couldn't find any information or order" for me in their system or anywhere. It was like my first call never happened. I had to start from scratch in ordering the plate and a charcoal grate.

I did get them finally and they work great, but it shouldn't be so hard to do business with someone.

nucornhusker, can you describe how you use your plate?
I don't have a picture of it right now, but it sets right in front of the opening of the firebox to deflect the heat. Then there are holes that progressively get larger as it goes toward the exhaust end to even out the heat.

That's really all it's for is to even out heat side to side.

Is this what you were asking?

Thinking about ordering convection plate for my offset from horizon also. Would like to see pictures to understand why your grates not fitting now.

Big Dan -Pics?

Southstar Jeff - "I've not been successful trying to buy a "convection plate" from Horizon for it."

Do you mean that they don't respond to e-mails/calls? That has been my experience. I inquired about a convection plate for my Klose, but they never responded to me.

I am interested in one, but I'd like to hear about brethren's experiences using them.

David
The Swine Spectator

Yeah, I've traded emails with a guy there, Daniel, but no order confirmation or parts.

Calling them and following up with another call seems to be the only way I could get through to them. You may want to try calling.

My convection plate works well. The grates got a lot tighter and barely fit, but they do fit.

I didn't have a great experience with Horizon. Emails weren't answered so I had to call. They were good on the phone and I got mine ordered. I called two weeks later because it hadn't arrived yet and they "couldn't find any information or order" for me in their system or anywhere. It was like my first call never happened. I had to start from scratch in ordering the plate and a charcoal grate.

I did get them finally and they work great, but it shouldn't be so hard to do business with someone.

I'll post pics of mine tomorrow. I'm doing a brisket.
I ordered mine thru Horizon also. They are TERRIBLE at customer service. I also ordered a charcoal basket from them. The basket took TWO MONTHS and six phone calls. When they finally shipped it, Fed Ex delivered it to the wrong house. It was hell, but I finally received everything.
About my grates, they don't fit now, but I can live with it. I can probably fix it with a little hammering or grinding. Pics tomorrow.

Okay, after some monkeying around, and some brute force, I got it to fit.
here are some pics. The one with my finger pointing is where I was having some trouble getting the grills to fit, but they are in now.

Attachments

• smoker mod 2.jpg
    smoker mod 2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 430
  • smoker mod.jpg
    smoker mod.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 427
  • smoker mod 1.jpg
    smoker mod 1.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 428
And here is whats going on right now: 11.61 pounds of PRIME Texas beef butter!!

Attachments

• 11.61 LBS Prime brisket.jpg
    11.61 LBS Prime brisket.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 428
that looks good and I don't know what it is but that is a great looking smoker!! I'm secretly looking for a stick burner to add to the collection

5 Hours in....

5 hours in on the first cook with the baffle, and all is well. The most noticeable effect so far has been temperature control. It has been a LOT more stable and easier to control. And it is a very windy day here today ( 17 mph winds) I am glad I got this addition to my smoker.

Attachments

• brisket1.jpg
    brisket1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 249
Back