judging differences

warren.miller

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Is there a difference in kcbs and memphis judges. As far as general taste goes? ie kcbs sweet little sauce. memphis??

thx

As far as the flavor of the pork and ribs there is NO difference between KCBS and MBN. There ARE MANY other differences, but your question was directed toward "general taste" and in that respect there are NO differences. HOWEVER, you are more likely to see sauce in small cups inside the pork box at the MBN blind instead of sauce directly on the meat. Ribs usually come with the sauce already on them.

You're asking about MBN, yes?

Sauce on the shoulders or whole hog generally isn't going to help (may not hurt either) your appearance score. Most MBN judges are accustomed to un-sauced, so it's normal. If your sauce doesn't really enhance the flavor of the meat but tends to mask it, by putting it on the meat the judge has no choice and DOWN go your scores. However, that same sauce presented on the side, in the cup, gives the judge the choice of how much of the sauce to use. If he/she likes it with a lot of sauce; good deal. If they like it with only a tad of sauce; good deal.

Last edited:
As far as the flavor of the pork and ribs there is NO difference between KCBS and MBN. There ARE MANY other differences, but your question was directed toward "general taste" and in that respect there are NO differences. HOWEVER, you are more likely to see sauce in small cups inside the pork box at the MBN blind instead of sauce directly on the meat. Ribs usually come with the sauce already on them.

I think the differences are quite profound, in taste as well as other factors.

Other factors - DEFINITELY

Taste - ???

Please explain...

I was thinking the same thing. Taste? I mean yes most everything seems to be trending slightly sweeter and I think KCBS is a little more saucy in general than MBN, but taste preference among judges being different?

Maybe if so it's because of expectations, where MBN judges are seemingly more accustomed to meat sans sauce where KCBS not as accustomed... I dont know.

Ribs, by definition, are different among the two, from definition of tenderness to what actually comes across the table and what wins. KCBS - bite through st. louis spare vs. MBN - pull cleanly from the bone baby back.

Chicken and brisket and whole hog are of course different among them for obvious reasons.

Whole shoulder to butt/picnic, not so much, particularly in taste, would it? Appearance (as presentation comes in to this), yeah, but taste?

Pete, with complete respect and admiration (because YOU ARE THE MAN when it comes to this), please 'splain.

Without getting too specific, (after all, we teach this stuff)- tenderness (moisture, mouthfeel, etc) is a huge factor in taste irregardless of the ingredients uses. There are huge differences in texture and thus flavor (how a piece of meat expresses itself through your palate).

Secondly, (and speaking generally and from my own opinion, not trying to get anything started here) a factor is in the theories of competition- KCBS rewards overall performance, MBN rewards singular excellence. You have more middle of the road guys in KCBS versus pushing the envelope in MBN- more acute flavors, more depths.

Back