BBQ Jamie Oliver Style

Did anyone else have the same reaction I did when he stuck his finger in the liquid that the raw chicken was marinating in and gave it a taste? Yikes. He must have an iron stomach!

If chicken was truely dangerous, more people would die. Have you seen some people's/restaurant's kitchens.

Stay safe, not scared.

I want to hire an architect/designer and make them sit down and watch every episode of this show. Then I want them to build me that house and garden.

May *we* ask why? Did you have a not so pleasant encounter with him somewhere?

Well without getting too political, I don't care for the stuff he comes out and says/does. He's your typical sensationalist, agenda driven attention media whore.

That and his "mockney" accent. There's not much that seems genuine about him. :tsk:

Well without getting too political, I don't care for the stuff he comes out and says/does. He's your typical sensationalist, agenda driven attention media whore.

That and his "mockney" accent. There's not much that seems genuine about him. :tsk:

Well, that's certainly a factual and well-reasoned rationale. :roll:

John

Well, he is an "Essex Boy" and I sometimes get the impression that he plays on that a bit.

I like what he has done though, reminds me of an updated version of (in my book) The Master, The Late, The Great Keith Floyd.

They both brought something fresh and different to TV cookery shows and let's not forget that JO has worked in some great places before the TV fame started.

Thanks for posting that OP. I enjoy his show and style. Grilled salmon for dinner.

Well, he is an "Essex Boy" and I sometimes get the impression that he plays on that a bit.

I like what he has done though, reminds me of an updated version of (in my book) The Master, The Late, The Great Keith Floyd.

They both brought something fresh and different to TV cookery shows and let's not forget that JO has worked in some great places before the TV fame started.
Hmmm.
Well, he left his education armed with a trade equivalent of being competent to work in a kitchen (home economics)and is one of Britain's richest young people so nobody can say he hasn't done well.
Did he have an illustrious career before hitting the TV screen?
No.
He worked in an Italian restaurant Antonio Carluccio's under Gennaro Contaldo who mentored him in Italian classics and who went on to invest in Jamie's future enterprises.
He moved on and up to the trendy The River Cafe where he got noticed by an astute TV rep there and that kicked off his tv series, which sent "his" book written for the series book to no 1.
Lucky more than skilled.
I have a huge respect for Jamie Oliver's business acumen BTW.
Also his attitude to life and work.
While saying that, he is a bit of a chit and takes huge liberties with the truth.
He claimed to be of Sudanese decent and got busted, and the thing that always annoyed me was Jamie always cooked Italian classics with his own spin (That more often was worse than the original IMO) but NEVER did the time honored thing of doffing his cap in acknowledgement to it's origin but instead presented it ALL as his own.
That peaced me off.
Okay, I have to admit some inside knowledge as a Aussie chef I know worked alongside him at the time this all took off and later too.
So, the guy is human.
He works it hard to his advantage and his goal isn't winning approval but marketing.
You cannot say he isn't talented at that and in a world where we have corporate shenanigans that are planned to rip us all off without a shred of hesitation, Jamie looks like a saint by comparison!
That is just my view YMMV

I had really wanted one of those little 'schmoo' devices he uses to pulverize herbs.

Don't know yet.:grin:
I haven't seen a cook yet that cooks like him...just raw untamed cooking and no Phancy schmansy stuPh.
Phu, come to America and cook with some of the Brethren other than Gore, you will see many of us cook with a rustic style and with abandon.

I guess I'm in the minority. I can't stand that ***hat :evil:

Maybe his food is okay, I don't know . . .

I'm not a big fan either, though I'm not quite as far up on the hate wagon. I tried watching his show a couple of times and ended up changing the channel because I could barely understand a word he said. I get he's got an accent but when you put that together with his regional-based slang I'm totally confused and haven't a clue what he's trying to say.

Did anyone else have the same reaction I did when he stuck his finger in the liquid that the raw chicken was marinating in and gave it a taste? Yikes. He must have an iron stomach!

Yes. He touched the ribs, then the chicken, then the lamb and then got sauce with his finger. Hopefully they edited where he washed his hands. I'm sometimes careless
banghead.gif
but don't cross contaminate.
chef.gif

Back