Importance of the team gift bags?

82's BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
With the recent article in the Bullsheet regarding the overabundance of gift bags that teams receive at competitions I have a few questions.

1. Do you really look forward to them?
2. What do you like to receive?
3. What don't you like to receive?
4. What do you wish you'd receive?
5. Would you be disappointed in receiving less quantity in the bag?

With the recent article in the Bullsheet regarding the overabundance of gift bags that teams receive at competitions I have a few questions.

Here's my feeling on gift bags. I would rather have clean bathrooms, good ash and grease disposal and better prize money than I would a gift bag any day. Now if you can guarantee all those things and provide a gift bag then personally whatever you put in there is ok by my. Some of my favorite things are cleaning products, tshirts and even discounts to local eateries as long as they're going to be open the day I head out of town. There's nothing I hate more than receiving a coupon for someplace that won't even be opened the only time I'm likely to be able to use it.

What Steve said plus band-aides. I tend to be a danger to myself. Trash bags, roll of paper towels are handy....can you have too many???

Not really
Stuff I can use, foil, cleaning stuff, Jimmy Buffet cups, Stadium cups etc
Toy foam things or toys of any kind (no kids); discount coupons where you have to spend big bucks to use them; fridge magnets from the local car dealer/lawyer/bail bonds:shock:/bank; thimble sized packages of rub samples - if there isn't even enough to coat one chicken wing into the trash it goes; stale snack foods
Event pins / stickers
No, I'm with Yankeebbq on this.

Same as above: love foil, t-shirts, crying towels, etc. Don't need coozies, coasters, magnets, coupons, etc.
The bags themselves have been useful!!
I don't rate a cook off by the goodie bag. Dependable water, electric, and a clean crapper are way more important!

I agree with Steve. I'd do without a goody bag if it meant better facilities, etc.

But, it's nice to get local stuff, not things that I can get anywhere.

the absolute best goodie "bag" was at Murphysboro, IL. It was an overflowing bushel basket that took two people to get back to our site!

The worst was at a competition that is sponsored by a radio station. They were giving out grocery bags at the cooks meeting and we all thought it would be full of cool stuff since radio stations get all sort of promo stuff. The only thing in the bag was our turn in boxes. And, they didn't have good facilities to make up for it :)

gift backs are a bonus. If I get one, an event shirt, pin or some other item from the event is cool.

I know that those bags are a great way to distribute the sponsors stuff so i always take a look at all of it. Those sponsors pay the bills so I like to give them a look.

I have never received a, what do you call them...a gift bag? So yes, a gift bag please!

We did a comp in Tennessee right down the road from the M&M factory. I never knew they made so many different kinds of M&M's. That was a great gift bag at least 5lbs. We always like the paper towels and stuff like that.... I wish they wouldn't put in flyers for the local title pawn.

With very little exception this is a foreign concept in California. We may get a tee shirt once or twice a year, perhaps an event memento, and on a rare occasion - like the fine folks at MAK Grills are nice enough to sponsor an event - we’ll get some groovy loot. Otherwise, we’ve come to expect the middle of a doughnut…..so the moral of the story….

Don’t look a gift bag in the mouth.

Gift bags? We never even look in them until we get home (and then if it's paper it gets tossed without looking at) That is unless you're Sam's Club and wheeling a big cart to each site.

Like others have said put the funds towards something useful and put a sign on it "This port a pot sponsored by ABC.

Wish I knew what they were. :roll:

Having only competed in 2 comps, the only thing close to a gift bag was KCBS bumper stickers that were handed out at the cooks meeting.

wallace

I cant speak for all competitions but I can speak for The Keystone Classic BBQ competition in Harrisburg PA this year as I put the "goddie bags" together.

I pesonally like the goodie bags because it gives something to those who are new or dont do well something to go home with.

here is what I put in the bags and keep in mind the items were donated so there is no " put more money in the prize pool ".

Mojo Bricks
Purple Pork Masters sauce
Plowboys rub
Pork Barrel bbq rub
Dixie Meat rub
the new line of Stubbs bbq rubs
Tastey Licks BBQ pack
Fab
and some snacks (not sure who got those)

and an event pin (that cost a couple of $$ but not enough to raise the prize pool)

I have gotten some "coupon bags" as well but you cant tell me that that bag didnt rock and that you would atleast try everything in there. These guys stepped up and helped me put a really nice bag together.

**again thanks to everyone who sent me their products for in the bags.**:clap:

Not really. We certainly dont compete to receive them. I'm more focused on the competition (and comradere) at hand.

BBQ related things like rubs and sauces (not in tiny packets though), enough to actually use and try. T-shirts and aprons aren't bad. Most everything else I've either
given away to someone else or thrown in the garbage... One competition we received an electric fire starter. I'm sure some liked it; I gave it away at work... Even silly things that we could use, like HD Aluminum Foil, etc. would at least be used.

Pencils, pens, other such things.

Thermapens and flirty women.

Getting a bag is a pleasant surprise, but an unnecessary one IMHO. No, I wouldn't
be disappointed in receiving less stuff...

I cant speak for all competitions but I can speak for The Keystone Classic BBQ competition in Harrisburg PA this year as I put the "goddie bags" together.

I pesonally like the goodie bags because it gives something to those who are new or dont do well something to go home with.

here is what I put in the bags and keep in mind the items were donated so there is no " put more money in the prize pool ".

Mojo Bricks
Purple Pork Masters sauce
Plowboys rub
Pork Barrel bbq rub
Dixie Meat rub
the new line of Stubbs bbq rubs
Tastey Licks BBQ pack
Fab
and some snacks (not sure who got those)

and an event pin (that cost a couple of $$ but not enough to raise the prize pool)

I have gotten some "coupon bags" as well but you cant tell me that that bag didnt rock and that you would atleast try everything in there. These guys stepped up and helped me put a really nice bag together.

**again thanks to everyone who sent me their products for in the bags.**:clap:

And this is an example of a great goodie bag:clap:; most of the rubs & sauces were in enough quantity to actually use and evaluate, the mojo brick was something I've been wanting to try and the pin was cool!. (The pretzels were really stale though):wacko:

I have only done a few contests but here are my "newbie" thoughts. First contest I did we received a goodie bag and while I dont remember what was in it. We thought it was cool and exciting and made us feel appreciated. Did another contest that their goodie bag was a chair with their logo on it. Useful and still have it. At another contest the goodie bag was a hand towel and a bottle of water. But the prize pool was decent for a small contest. Did another contest No goodie bag but they furnished breakfast. And then at an unsanctioned contest I did the goodie bag was $25 in chamber bucks to be used at ANY chamber business. That included restaurants,convenience stores,amusement park, and bars.

Goody bags are nice to get and any useful products are appreciated. I was at a competition this year that the organizer didn't have enough goody bags for all the teams, and I didn't get one (neither did the other teams located around me). They were also giving out shirts, and didn't have enough to go around. My only comment on goody bags (and shirts) is, if you are going to give them, make sure you as the organizer have enough for all the teams. I paid my $$ just like everyone else, and I am entitled to the free stuff just like the other teams.

Back