Gateway Drum Smoker Question

Shiz-Nit

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
To start this question is for my step father cause he is to sissy to post anything... Yep I know you are reading this!!! He reads the forum but has me post questions for him.

This question is --- what makes the gateway drum smokers so special over a homemade job. Besides the paint and team sign plate. Are they really worth $475? Is the baskets cheaply built like most drums I have seen. How well will that pretty paint last due to the heat produced by the drum?

Did I see somewhere that Gateway BBQ was going to be selling parts/kits for building your own drum? Thought it was here on the forum? Didn't see anything on their website though.

The basket is welded expanded metal with reinforced corners and a bottom plate. The paint stays nice due to the inner liner. There will always be something cheaper, there will always be something better, and there will always be someone that thinks they can build something better.

You have to determine if it's a value or not based on your budget and needs.

I'd ask the guy who competes on Gateway Drums, taught a class about using them, and recently said in this forum that Gateway Drums aren't your average drums. He could probably expound upon what he meant be that. I'd bet he'll even answer to a PM.

dmp

EDIT: Doh! He beat me to it and responded while I was suggesting you ask him. Mods, feel free to delete these:)

And they have caster wheels on the bottom along with dual exterior intake tubes so that we fat guys don't have to bend over to adjust temps. They have 3 rack heights, handles, have Weber grates, and thermometers.

Oh, and it's Automotive paint.

And they have caster wheels on the bottom along with dual exterior intake tubes so that we fat guys don't have to bend over to adjust temps. They have 3 rack heights, handles, have Weber grates, and thermometers.

Oh, and it's Automotive paint.

Hay I see also you are sponcerd or maybe own Gatway due to your sig. The budget is there indeed. My step dad is very high on these drums right know. Another poster posted maybe Gateway selling parts to build one at home is this so?
Also if you would be so kind to post some pics here or PM me either one, my step dad has requested to see a few more drums beside what is on the web site. Also has asked about the grafics are they extra $?

Thanks.

Thanks for the interest in our Gateway Drum Smokers. We are not currently offering any DIY kits. You can click on the drum photo on the gateway website for a list of options and prices. Feel free to check out our Facebook page for more photos and give us a call if you have any questions.
- Terri

Great timing for this thread, I just picked mine up today. These things are made with first class quality and cook even better. I had a UDS that I got off of CL a couple years ago. It wasn't bad, but took a lot of work to regulate temp and difficult to control the temp swings. The Gateway Drum's cook a lot better and with less effort. These things arent selling just becase they look cool (but they do look pretty awesome), they cook great!!

I have tasted all four meats on these before I bought mine and the flavors were incredible. Like you said, you get what you pay for. I dont think anyone will be disappointed for investing in one of these. Love mine already !!! Tim and Terri do a great job over there and dont hestiate to give them a call or stop in if your local.

Just as a disclaimer, I paid regular retail and am not sponsored or endorsed by them. Just really love this thing!! :thumb:

-John

I am thinking hard about one of your drums. I am a sucker for a good paint job. The Gettin' Basted pig would look sharp on the side of one of these cookers! If either one of you get some time next weekend in Columbia I would like to get the barrel tour.

Maybe you should come up with a mizzou fan discount? God knows we can't catch a break on the court.

May have all ready been said, but how big are the grates? If you wouldn't mind comparing them with the WSM so I can have a comparison. Do you use a guru with them? Can't say I really need one, but they sure look sweet. And just to kick someone when they are down, GO HOGS!!!

Thanks for the interest in our Gateway Drum Smokers. We are not currently offering any DIY kits. You can click on the drum photo on the gateway website for a list of options and prices. Feel free to check out our Facebook page for more photos and give us a call if you have any questions.
- Terri
How much do these weigh. I couldn't believe the quote for shipping.

Last edited:
This question is --- what makes the gateway drum smokers so special over a homemade job. Besides the paint and team sign plate. Are they really worth $475? Is the baskets cheaply built like most drums I have seen. How well will that pretty paint last due to the heat produced by the drum?

Polar Bear Challenge, 10* at 7am: GC used one, RGC used one, 3rd OA used 3 (all 4 meats) and 7th OA (me) used 3 (all 4 meats). 15 Top 10 Calls. 1st Chicken and 1st Brisket.

Next question.........;-)

BTW - Shipping is high because of LxWxH + Weight. It's the size that kills it.

They made and donated one to our foundation to raffle off. We have added a Guru, Meat Rakes and there will be more. Even prettier in person. Cant figure out how to attach on a hand held though...

Polar Bear Challenge, 10* at 7am: GC used one, RGC used one, 3rd OA used 3 (all 4 meats) and 7th OA (me) used 3 (all 4 meats). 15 Top 10 Calls. 1st Chicken and 1st Brisket.

Next question.........;-)

BTW - Shipping is high because of LxWxH + Weight. It's the size that kills it.

Very impressive indeed!

I like the way the drums look so i visited your site and had some questions. What is a fire box liner? How big in diameter are the intake tubes?

Back