• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Any Predictions

Some teams will do their best to conform to the rule as written, some teams will adhere to their own wildly creative interpretation of the rule, some teams will do whatever they want to saying that as long as there's no specific microprohibition of that exact thing it's okay, and some teams will openly declare that they'll do as they damn please because nobody's checking anyway.

Yeah, I'm freaking psychic.

Spot on!

I know they took out the part that say it can't be parted, but It says it must be one piece that is 5lbs. So to me, you have to cook a piece of meat that is 5lbs or bigger. A money muscle is not 5lbs so you would not be able to cook it by itsself. To me, all it really changes is that you could maybe put it back in the cooker to heat up.

Of course, my interpretation could be way off base. Wouldn't be the first time, thats for sure.

That's the way we interpret it.

I know they took out the part that say it can't be parted, but It says it must be one piece that is 5lbs. So to me, you have to cook a piece of meat that is 5lbs or bigger. A money muscle is not 5lbs so you would not be able to cook it by itsself. To me, all it really changes is that you could maybe put it back in the cooker to heat up.

Of course, my interpretation could be way off base. Wouldn't be the first time, thats for sure.

That's the way we interpret it.
The Board member who made the motion disagrees
Once Your 5 Lb butt Or shoulder Is inspected Cook It Any Way You See Fit. That Is The Rule For 2014

I would have preferred this happened immediately but I understand points made last night. I'm just happen it finally got done. It's being done now anyway with butts being filleted out and muscles held together by the thinnest of pieces of meat. There was no point whatsoever in treating pork any differently than any other category. Even brisket can be trimmed down to small, quick cook pieces. For the record, I was not really in favor of requiring starting with five pounds because the point was made that unless you shop at places like Sam's or RD, large butts are hard to find. But to get it done, I was fine with it.

I would have preferred this happened immediately but I understand points made last night. I'm just happen it finally got done. It's being done now anyway with butts being filleted out and muscles held together by the thinnest of pieces of meat. There was no point whatsoever in treating pork any differently than any other category. Even brisket can be trimmed down to small, quick cook pieces. For the record, I was not really in favor of requiring starting with five pounds because the point was made that unless you shop at places like Sam's or RD, large butts are hard to find. But to get it done, I was fine with it.
I assume that you appreciate the fact that, with this rule change, you have eliminated all possibilities of enforcement of the cut of pork being cooked. Once you inspect a 5 pound butt, the cook can then part it out and substitute pork collar, pork tenderloin and any other cut of pork and it will be a pi$$ing contest between the rep and the cook over it and the cook will win as it was inspected by the contest folks. At least this year, there is a semblance of conformance by leaving it attached by the slimmest of threads to the honest to God pork butt or shoulder.

You got to realize that the pork rule evolved over the last 15 to 20 years because of the honest, law abiding cooks and now we take away all requirements and open the door again. This is full circle and déjà vu.

Thanks

I think you're assuming a lot with that. Cooks can get away with pretty much the same thing you're talking about that now if they're inclined to do so.

Locks are designed to keep honest people honest. Remove the lock and even the honest person will open the door and look in.

I assume that you appreciate the fact that, with this rule change, you have eliminated all possibilities of enforcement of the cut of pork being cooked. Once you inspect a 5 pound butt, the cook can then part it out and substitute pork collar, pork tenderloin and any other cut of pork and it will be a pi$$ing contest between the rep and the cook over it and the cook will win as it was inspected by the contest folks. At least this year, there is a semblance of conformance by leaving it attached by the slimmest of threads to the honest to God pork butt or shoulder.

You got to realize that the pork rule evolved over the last 15 to 20 years because of the honest, law abiding cooks and now we take away all requirements and open the door again. This is full circle and déjà vu.

Thanks

Are you kidding me? Reps can't tell the difference between the cut of a tenderloin and any other cut of pork? Yes, we can, and we can tell if you have parted your money muscle and put it back on the pit. We cook. We know the difference.

Then why is there a weight limit and a requirement to bring a whole one. There is neither in the other three categories.

Ray, I saw no need of having the five pound aspect of the rule either and at one point in the discussions, I retracted my second on this motion. But it seemed that if it wasn't in there, it might not pass at all so I re-submitted my second on the motion without it being amended. I call that compromise, something everyone has criticized the board for not doing in the past.

Are you kidding me? Reps can't tell the difference between the cut of a tenderloin and any other cut of pork? Yes, we can, and we can tell if you have parted your money muscle and put it back on the pit. We cook. We know the difference.

First wouldnt you have to have a table captain or judge question it.Knowing how busy the judging tent is I cant believe that the reps would look at each box unless it was questioned?

Back