My BGE Gasket Is Toast

This gasket thing is a little upsetting. Not a great big deal, but stil...

Get used to it, you'll probably go through a few in the lifetime of the cooker...I've gotten to the point that I don't replace them until absolutely necessary. The BGE cooker will function very well with a compromised gasket, even with no gasket at all.

I have a BGE that I've dedicated to high temp grilling/pizza cooking. It doesn't even have a gasket, I've burned off several and decided to give up.

I'm not suggesting that you don't replace it, just know that your cooker will still function and is still usable. Indeed it is the only part that will probably ever wear out on your BGE.

As always, my .02

The leaking and compromising my low temp smoking is a bit of a booger. I really don't want a second egg.

But I hear you and appreaciate your support a lot. Thanks for that

The leaking and compromising my low temp smoking is a bit of a booger. I really don't want a second egg.

But I hear you and appreaciate your support a lot. Thanks for that

Yet!

;)

There is some people on the BGE forum that use this.
Permatex® Ultra Copper High Temp RTV Silicone Gasket Maker

Tod

There were thoughts going back and forth about that, the main thing was it was an alternative to the fabric gasket. With the silicone it only had to be applied to one surface. One person also made a jig so after it was applied it could be shaped to have square sides as opposed to round.

Tod

I saw quite a few threads along that line. I will dig deeper. The Permatex sealant has been used as an adhesive for a gasket (not Nomex) as well as the gasket itself as you mentioned.

I'll look into this more. very good lead. Thank you for offering that

I suggest just get the NOMEX gasket and use 3M Super 77 spray. I burnt mine the 1st week I owned it. Replaced with the above and no more issues. You should always do the dollar bill test (closing the lid with a bill between the surfaces to test for seal) after the gasket is replaced. Then do several low temp cooks before ever doing a high temp cook. This will help set and cure the gasket.

I recently received the white, felt like replacement gasket from BGE. They recommend the 3M Super 77 spray on adhesive after cleaning the old gasket off with a scraper and acetone. Do some remove the hinges and take the top off to do this, or can I just leave things hooked together?

I recently received the white, felt like replacement gasket from BGE. They recommend the 3M Super 77 spray on adhesive after cleaning the old gasket off with a scraper and acetone. Do some remove the hinges and take the top off to do this, or can I just leave things hooked together?

It will be much easier to work with if you remove the dome to replace the gaskets. The key to success is to have a very clean surface to work with when replacing the new gasket.

I have replaced the seal with the dome on but it's tight in the back. No issues. I usually put the seam on the side. Works out good. I don't 'cure' mine either. Preheat is enough IMO.

Yo Ted-

Don't feel like the lone stranger on the gasket!

I've been in the same situation, bought my second Large at the Eggfest and the friggin' gasket was toast before the meat hit the grill! The thermometer was off @75* and guess what? The replacement felt gasket they gave me didn't last any longer!

IMG_0024_1.jpg

...So here is what you do-

You call the Mothership and explain the situation, and they will send you a roll of Nomex.

Yeah its a PITA, but it happens, we don't want it to happen to us, but sometimes it does, but Big Green Egg stands behind their products- they aren't sittin' around reading the other forums to see what will go wrong with your or my Egg, but they will try to keep us happy customers.

just sayin'

If you replace the gasket, make sure you do the dollar bill test.

Back