Roll Call. Inside 30 days. 2010 Suncoast BBQ Bash - Venice, FL - April 16-17

Jimmy - We did get a dose of reality last weekend in Tavares. Maybe we can both make it to Suwannee and see who wins that boat oar this year and dolles out the spanking! :p

Look forward to seeing you at a contest soon. Enjoy Sun-n-Fun, I lived about a tenth of a mile from it for the first 20 years of my life so it lost it's luster to me many, many years ago.

Toooooo funny!!! should we get Stump in the mix?????
good luck all in Venice

To anybody out there in the know...

I'm looking to get my Backyard Grand trophies insured...before I go and get my first real one. Lloyds of London, maybe?

Here it is...my what I know about who I think may be there.

1. :confused: Good Buddies...a long shot to take down the whole thing. Realistically, we are gunning for two calls and a top 10 overall. If I had a few beers on the car ride down there and was asked what I'm really shooting for, I would say 7th overall / 724 points.

2. :mad2: Rub..."compete on one good leg", that sounds like the beginning of the conversation prior to my conception. Crystal ball says that Rub has been on the shelf, watching, testing, and a pit pissed about dropping in the National BBQ Rankings. Without knowing all of the contenders, I'm going to say a disappointing 4th overall / 741 points.

3. :pray: Heavenly Hog...welcome to the game. It's like the guy who gets drafted in the first round of the MLB draft by the Royals, but he's better than most of their talent so he is thrown into the game. Moral of the story...he gets shelled and goes back to the minors. Overall score 712 points.

4. :cool: Whiskey Bent...nice job in Tavares boys! I bet you had your minds made up after that first category that it was gonna be another day in paradise. 1st Chicken, 9th Ribs, 7th Pork, 14th Brisket, 11th overall. Ouch. Somebody screwed the brisket up...I think he resides in Cleveland now. I like these boys to bounce back, but hard with two guys. If Vann makes it back from Cleveland I like these boys to win. Without him, this weekend, Reserve Grand Champion 749 points.

Who else is gonna be there that would love to be reviewed? Send me $5 to my paypal account and I'll be honest with you. I'm teaching life lessons and sometimes that is a dish best served sunny side up. You know what I'm talking about...exactly!

If you don't like it...go dry accelerate a jet ski.
- Kenny Powers

1. :confused: Good Buddies...a long shot to take down the whole thing. Realistically, we are gunning for two calls and a top 10 overall. If I had a few beers on the car ride down there and was asked what I'm really shooting for, I would say 7th overall / 724 points.

Good Buddies will have to be a VERY LONG SHOT since they are not competing at Venice. Total 33 teams but no Good Buddies.

I'm hoping to attend this event as a spectator and meet some of the southern Brethren. Does FBA have similar timelines, as far as turn-ins, as KCBS? Don't want to show up at the wrong time.

Pat

I'm looking to get my Backyard Grand trophies insured...before I go and get my first real one. Lloyds of London, maybe?

2. :mad2: Rub..."compete on one good leg", that sounds like the beginning of the conversation prior to my conception. Crystal ball says that Rub has been on the shelf, watching, testing, and a pit pissed about dropping in the National BBQ Rankings. Without knowing all of the contenders, I'm going to say a disappointing 4th overall / 741 points.

3. :pray: Heavenly Hog...welcome to the game. It's like the guy who gets drafted in the first round of the MLB draft by the Royals, but he's better than most of their talent so he is thrown into the game. Moral of the story...he gets shelled and goes back to the minors. Overall score 712 points.

4. :cool: Whiskey Bent...nice job in Tavares boys! I bet you had your minds made up after that first category that it was gonna be another day in paradise. 1st Chicken, 9th Ribs, 7th Pork, 14th Brisket, 11th overall. Ouch. Somebody screwed the brisket up...I think he resides in Cleveland now. I like these boys to bounce back, but hard with two guys. If Vann makes it back from Cleveland I like these boys to win. Without him, this weekend, Reserve Grand Champion 749 points.

Who else is gonna be there that would love to be reviewed? Send me $5 to my paypal account and I'll be honest with you. I'm teaching life lessons and sometimes that is a dish best served sunny side up. You know what I'm talking about...exactly!

- Kenny Powers

Whats that paypal account number?

I'm hoping to attend this event as a spectator and meet some of the southern Brethren. Does FBA have similar timelines, as far as turn-ins, as KCBS? Don't want to show up at the wrong time. Pat

The FBA standard turn-in times are:
Chicken 11:00
Ribs: 12:00
Pork: 1:00
Brisket 2:00

Awards 5:00 or sooner

Come early. Free parking, free admission....

Lets just bypass PayPal...this info can't wait

Call me directly @ 863-660-0618.

Pay Pal can't accomodate rush delivery.

Good Buddies will have to be a VERY LONG SHOT since they are not competing at Venice. Total 33 teams but no Good Buddies.

Yep, we are out. Battling sickness and pink eye, and 4 caterings that weekend make it a no go. Too bad for our first pro comp.

I'd be happy with a 4th, but even happier beating the WB boys. :boxing:
Love the retro Oakleys Chad. :cool:

Cracker - I think since Stump hung up competing for a bit, as his dealer we should let Rub stand in for him during the Suwannee boat oar challenge. :p

Buddies - Sounds like it is going to be very challenging to run turn-in's from the restaurant in Lakeland to the turn in tent in Venice. Sorry you got shut out. Just follow us on Twitter and we will keep you posted. Appreciate the faith tho with the reserve prediction, guess you didn't see the results from Tavares last weekend.:crazy:

Rub Me Tender/Heavenly Hog - I think you boys are sandbagging. I think both you guys can finish top 15. Good guys that cook good BBQ while drinking Old English 800. That is a recipe for success.

Good Luck and see you guys tomorrow night.

Rub Me Tender/Heavenly Hog - I think you boys are sandbagging. I think both you guys can finish top 15. Good guys that cook good BBQ while drinking Old English 800. That is a recipe for success.

Good Luck and see you guys tomorrow night.

Thats how we live, growing up in the rough neighborhoods and living life on the streets. You know how we are............

I'd be happy with a 4th, but even happier beating the WB boys. :boxing:
Love the retro Oakleys Chad. :cool:

If I don't feel confident after Chicken and Ribs, I am not above coming down there and sweeping your good leg, Karate Kid style. Think Cobra Kia preying on an injured Daniel LaRussa.

I do appreciate the vintage Oakleys kudos. It is good to know another BBQ brother can see the greatness is bringing that late 80's style to the game.

Chad - I heard Rub Me Tender is bringin' your stunt double out to Venice..whatever that means?

Good Predictions

We didn't make this one but liked your prediction.

Instead of a disappointing 4th, Rub takes the Grand Champion with 747. What is interesting is that a predicted 741 would have taken 4th overall.

Pretty close on this one, 716 points.

Well you nailed it, Reserve Grand Champion (points were off a little with 744.

- Kenny Powers

Good Job Guys

The Ace Rothstein of professional bbq odds!

I'm one of the best in the business when it comes to professional bbq handicapping (sp?).

This Week In BBQ.

1. Swamp Boys didn't get to unveil his new chicken, but got enough out of it to win the whole thing. Ribs 1st/Brisket 1st...wow! For anybody who has ever seen the movie Tropic Thunder, Rub rolled out his version this week and disproved the theory, "You never go full cripple!". He did and he won...congrats again, the teacher shows the student!

2. Whiskey Bent BBQ! Congrats on the RGC with BBQ Central Show folks on hand. This was WB first attempt at courting a corporate sponsor, dry run as such, to make sure that they can't completely offend every person in the world. 1st place pork in Venice completes the category Grand Slam in record fashion. I believe in 7 events, Whiskey Bent has now won every category as pros. Nice.

3. Rub Me Tender/Heavenly Hog...don't know who coordinated the Chad-Clone with full blown oakleys and bubba mug, but that was top flight stuff. Congrats to Heavenly Hog on a top 10 call, good ribs and good brisket!

4. Blitzkrieg BBQ ...............Nice!!! We need to do a quick background check on these guys to see where they came from. They nailed it this weekend following a brisket win in Dade City, pretty impressive! A good bunch of guys and their boy is a cool kid. I saw the pictures of him in the RGC and Pork calls with Whiskey Bent in the shades. I think that he'll be winning some kids ques very soon and will probably be setting up to be a "young winner" in upcoming bbq events. Congrats Guys!

5. Big Papa....Chicken hit big! It knocked Whiskey Bent back to reality on their chicken after Jared said he thought it was the best he'd ever tasted, speaking of his own chicken that is. That's big! Hate to say it, but what is typically one of Big Papa's categories kept him from taking the GC this weekend - Pork!

6. Git-R-Smoked is tracking again. A couple of solid weekends and he is right there waiting to get his name called to the stage for the big call. He is never too far off and the golf cart to the turn in is a 3 point advantage at any event.

7. Unknown BBQ (didn't know they would be there) had their ribs fall down on them. Papa Clark...you owe to JW to have a long talk about competition bbq and the importance of four solid categories. Of all of the teams that have not won yet, this is my prediction for next team to win the big one. Note to event coordinators: Do not ever put these guys next to Whiskey Bent or any team that likes to sleep for more than 30 minutes.

8. Rub Me Tender...money in my pay pal and I can help those Rib and Pork scores! I got carpal tunnell from scrolling down to see where you finished. I like that you guys went out and took that whippin ala Whiskey Bent in Tavares 2006 (25th out of 26th).

Congrats and I heard that there were a ton of people out there in Venice. Good job to all who were involved and you are lucky that I wasn't able to show up. When I show up...the money disappears!

Sincerely,
Joel Vann

Side note: There are a couple of teams that have gone pro and are going for it. That's big stuff! I know that a couple of the teams that are winning in the pro's today took the extended backyard route to make sure they were ready and it show's that you are at least not hung like hamsters. East Coast Lumber, Big Bad Wolf, Heavenly Hog, Rub Me Tender...you get a great big :thumb:, but when we see each other again it's :boxing:.

Back