Smoked Soup (pr0n inside!)

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Ok, well, the soup wasn't actually smoked... but everything in it was... Well almost everything. A bunch of smoked stuff is in this soup, ok? It's actually more of a chowder, but Smoked stuff in a chowder isn't as good a title.

First up, The players - Corn, Poblanos, Red Bells, Onion, Taters, Chicken Broth, Salt, Pepper (not available for photo - heavy cream and fresh thyme) and last but not least home made bacon.

You can read all about my big bacon adventure here -
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174710

Anyways... First step is getting these guys some smoke. Onto the grill they go. Except the onions, I've done it both ways, but I like the bite and crispness better when they're sautéed instead of roasted, but either works fine depending on your taste

Yes, that's a 19lb ham. Thread to come on that later. It has nothing to do with dinner, so just pretend you didn't see that, ok?

Here's some peppers after getting a good solid hour + of Hickory and gentle 225ish heat -

Veggies and Bacon prepped

Let's get to it. Bacon gets crispy

Add Onions

Onions get soft, add Corn

Give it a couple minutes, add peppers, S&P, Thyme

Give a couple minutes for everyone to get to know each other, add some flour

fry that for a min, add the broth

simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add Diced potatoes and cream

Heat through and serve (with a delicious beer)

Thanks for lookin'

Looks excellent! Would be a great winter comfort food. :cool:

Looks great! I love me some soup/chowder on a cold day ,I like the smoked twist on it, I am sure it gave it that little bit of something extra we all crave.

Thanks, yea, we're big Lake Front Brewery fans.. And Central Waters, and New Glarus, and list goes on. Wisconsin makes some damn good beers!

Back