• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Comp Brisket - Chopped? Pulled? Sliced?

Here is a transcription of a BBQ Judging class given by Ed Roith:

http://new.cbbqa.com/judging/EdRoithCBJClass.html

He never says anything about pulled or chopped brisket being overcooked or undercooked or being improper for presentation at a contest. For that matter, all he says is 99% will be sliced. He also stresses the meat being judged on it's own merit or what he terms "Judge what you taste". I was surprised. From reading this thread, I thought he was going to dictate that pulled or chopped brisket was bad. That wasn't the case at all. He very much preaches fairness. He impressed me quite a bit.

I don't think so because this transcription sounded verbatim as my judging class I took just last month.

heres what i think but remember i have never been in a competition or to a judging class. when they teach a judge they try to get them to identify the best possible product. pulling, chopping, thin slicing and thick slicing seem to be remedies for problems. granted, if it is legal it should be judged fairly in its turned in state, but the power of suggestion is very strong, so why turn in great brisket with a red flag on it and suggest to a judge that something may be wrong? the only way that you can turn in brisket with no indication of a fix-up seems to be medium width slices. having said this, what is the proper width to slice brisket? thanks.
phil

proper width - at least the convential comp wisdom I've heard is the thickness of a pencil

Agreed. At the Grillkings competition I spoke to Murray Saltzman and thats what he said. I think that was also echoed at the judges class.

The goal is the thickness of a #2 pencil - which is a bit undefined, but with luck, you know what I mean - and some say if the beef is overcooked, then slices of that thickness will fall apart and if the beef is undercooked, then those slices will NOT pull apart and will be unchewable (is that a word?)

So we are told that thick slices are a sign of overcooking and thin slices are a sign of undercooking. I (who knows very little) suggest that you put it in your mouth and base your score on the feel of the meat in your mouth.

It is my PERSONAL opinion that a cook who can "rescue" an overcooked brisket:eek: and make it a pleasure to eat,:grin: is deserving of a prize.

wsm said:
It is my PERSONAL opinion that a cook who can "rescue" an overcooked brisket:eek: and make it a pleasure to eat,:grin: is deserving of a prize.

Based upon my limited experience, I would not agree with this, Rich. I believe the true measurement of who deserves a prize is who cooks the brisket the best. This is a cooking contest, not a "masking" contest. If a brisket is overcooked, you, as the cook, didn't do your job correctly. It happened to us at DeSoto. We cooked two briskets. Brisket 1 was farking awesome... great flavor and beautiful smoke ring and very appealing with plenty of meat above the fat cap so as to leave a nice, wide slice after trimming the fat. However, we overcooked it. When we tried to actually move the slices we cut, the damned things fell apart. It was un-useable. While brisket #2 was not quite as flavorful, the smoke ring wasn't quite as deep and it was slightly less tender, we turned it in because the slices didn't fall apart. Still gave easily when tugged on to bite it. We could have chunked/shredded/pulled this first brisket but I was very doubtful about turning in like this. I haven't ever seen it done. My neighbor next door advised against using it so we scrapped it. I just don't have the sack to mask my failure and don't think that a cook who does have the sack to mask his error should be rewarded just because he was successful. He still failed at the primary objective of the contest. BUT, as I stated before, if you choose to pull or chunk your brisket at a contest, it should not be an indication or red flag to a judge that you're TRYING to hide something. Not sure if I made a lot of sense... Now that I read this, I feel like I'm typing in circles and not getting my point across! :roll:

Jeff, I understand you, and I think that our different viewpoint come from the fact that you are a competition cook and I am a backyard cook.

You are cooking to a specific (semi-specific??:grin:) set of requirements and I am looking to put a nice plate of food on the table.

I have to think about this some more (with more coffee) but I think you may be right and I may be wrong.

wsm said:
The goal is the thickness of a #2 pencil - which is a bit undefined, but with luck, you know what I mean - and some say if the beef is overcooked, then slices of that thickness will fall apart and if the beef is undercooked, then those slices will NOT pull apart and will be unchewable (is that a word?).

Rich this is not anything personel towards you but I have found that what people are taking away from the classes are a misconception.
During a judging class the #2 pencil thing is meant to be a verbal discription of a way to test the tenderness of brisket. It is not a rule, required or mandated that anyone turn-in #2 pencil thick slices. In a perfect world if you find a brisket sliced in this manor and do the pull test, along with taste test, this is the type of texture you would be looking for.

When an instructor then adds if the slices are thicker or thinner it means, this changes the intent of the test. To tell judges that chopped or pulled brisket means that the cook is trying to hide the condition of the texture also makes moot the fact you can turn in pulled or chopped.

This should be discussed and the manor of teaching should be changed.

Yes Jim - I tried to state what I thought that many take away from a CBJ class -
jminion said:
I have found that what people are taking away from the classes are a misconception.
During a judging class the #2 pencil thing is meant to be a verbal discription of a way to test the tenderness of brisket. It is not a rule, required or mandated that anyone turn-in #2 pencil thick slices.

As you know, I had been posting that I use "mouth feel" to judge tenderness, but Jeff in K C's comment in this thread have me pondering this question "If pencil thick slices are what most cooks aim for, do other presentations represent an effort to save - which means poorly cooked meat?" But that means that non-sliced brisket gets marked down - and non-sliced brisket can be OK under the KCBS rules.

So this is on my mind. I'm glad that I am not judging again until the Spring.

jminion said:
This should be discussed and the manor of teaching should be changed.

I cannot agree with you more!

Jeff_in_KC said:
Then maybe someone ought to point out the arguments made here to Mr. Roith. Doesn't necessarily make it right because he says it, does it? Or does it?

The key to this point is how the point was directed to the judges and worded by the instructor.
Example: The brisket COULD be or MIGHT be etc. etc. etc. or this is a trick that some judges use to help judge the texture of the brisket.

It was obvious to me that several of the judges taking the class were inexperience and I would expect it is possible that some of the judges never tasted brisket prior to that class. I think they will follow these tips and use these guidelines. I don’t think that death was trying to take the judging process out of these new judges hands but simply give them the help and guidelines they needed to help determine a good product.

If I learned anything in the class it is to turn in some slices that will pass the rubber band test. (right or wrong you better do it)

I have turned in pulled and done well with it, as long as it has steak sauce :biggrin:

Here is my nickels worth,

We are going on a lot of hear say, so what is right, and what is wrong.

I believe that we are used to "roast" beef being sliced, so that is what we look for, not only as a consumer, but as a cook, and as a judge. Now this is just my thoughts.... so take it as that....

We are used to pork as pulled pork, and we like to do thighs because they are so forgiving....

So, when do we get out of the norm and do something different... when ever we feel like it... so, what do we do? Do we still do the norm, or think outside of the box.

Are the judges taught wrong, or are we thinking wrong???

I like my beef sliced, because that is what I grew up on... we like burnt ends, right? What is burnt ends, chopped and over cooked brisket, so why not chop it, or pull it? I might just have to try it. If the judge is doing his/her job, they will judge for what is turned in, not what they are expecting.....

OMG - is this an example of the Judicial Activism that Harriet Meyers is being asked about??

No, because we do not have an equivalent to the Burger (Nixon appointee dominated Court) and Reinquist (Regan/Bush dominated) courts which invalidated nearly TWICE the federal legislation the Warren Court did.

Sled....remind me to flog you next time I see you for bringing this one back up from the dead....it had been asleep for nearly 4 years.....chit stirrer! LOL

Back