chicken- whole vs thigh, fire extinguishers

big blue bbq

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Hey Brothers,

I am going to get my fire extinguisher today and need to know what size is required. I found one yesterday that was a ABC for $11.99 at Rural King. Does that sound like the correct price range. I will be checking at Sam's today.

Also, some guys are talking about doing whole chickens but it seems most do thighs. Any reason to do one over the other?

Trying to get all the loose ends down before my first comp. in April.:p

Thanks.

Larry

Big Blue BBQ

As to the chicken question. It depends upon who is sanctioning the event. I know who requires what, but I would suggest that you go to the appropriate website and do your homework as I do not know which events you will be attending. That said KCBS requires the 6 pieces and most folks tend to go with thighs while ICBA requires entrants to submit a half chicken.

chicken and fire extinguishers.

Thanks,

The event is Redneck BBQ in Sikeston, MO. It is kcbs sanctiones. I knew about the 6 portions but did not know if it had to be thighs or if that is just a preference.

larry

I started out doing whole chickens....thinking I need to have something for everyone - but, thighs present well, stay moist, and have great flavor.

I think Jeff in KC has some good pics of Chicken boxes... And there are good discussions on winning chicken methods also.

I would go thighs, if I were you and starting out fresh in April.

S3700043.JPG

You're fire extinguisher will be fine as long as it is functional. Check the cooks handbook if there is one for whatever sanctioning organization the event is being held under.

Hard to keep chicken breasts moist once they hit the judges plates. Thighs and legs are very forgiving. Hard to dry them out.

As long as chicken has come up, has anyone done wings for a KCBS event? just a question.

I'd love to do wings only. I think my wings come out better than any other piece. We cook whole chickens, but turn in thighs. I usually toss a wing and a leg in the box, too. I've even added several wing's cut buffalo style (not sauced with buffalo sauce) to the box.

We do whole chickens because a sponsor gives us three whole chickens each contest.

I've asked this question before and the only answer that anybody will fess up to is "it's too far out of the box"," It might be the only entry", I think that is a plus.
As a judge I'd love to see wings.
So be bold, go for it...
ModelMaker

The requirement is 6 individual pieces...wings, legs, sliced breasts, thighs, etc. or a combination. Understand that whatever you provide WILL be tasted - if you do 4 thighs and 2 wings -- somebody is going to taste it and ONE judge does not a high score make...

As has been stated, thighs are most forgiving and the most often turned in pieces...I've been tasting some good breast meat...but when compared to the dark meat also in the box, it isn't as moist or tasty...if you mix white and dark it can cause you "problems"...

We are seeing more wings...I have seen the middle joint wings submitted along with thighs and they do very well...the "drummies" are never as tender as the middle joint - and that "toughness" around the knuckle can cause problems.

Turn in what you think is your best product that day...if you really, really, really, like your wings - turn them in -- but don't be so lame as to put six lonely little wings in a box full of lettuce and parsley...I'd probably turnin no less than 10-12 wings...

These are MY opinions - as a judge and competitor. Moving outside the "norms" is great - if you don't mind getting hammered now and then. It's kind of like doing "naked" turnin boxes at KCBS...some days you gotta do what ya gotta do!!

Dave is correct! Thighs are much more forgiving and do not dry out as easily as other parts of the chicKen. It's a dark meat thing.

We won chicken 2 times last year one was with thighs and the other was with breasts. I agree that thighs are alot easier to cook but when you get breasts cooked right they are money in the bank

Is the suggestion that you should cook both thighs and breast, and turn in the winner?

If it's a team just starting out in competitions, I would think thighs would be the way to go. Get those down pat, then branch out to the other parts to try.

mixed turn box of chicken

My suggestion as a CBJ would be to turn 6 pieces of each item in the box. Saturday the box had two legs and 6 thighs. I didn't get a leg and felt bad because I wanted to taste one of each. You do this with pork, why not chicken?:cool:

My suggestion as a CBJ would be to turn 6 pieces of each item in the box. Saturday the box had two legs and 6 thighs. I didn't get a leg and felt bad because I wanted to taste one of each.

BINGO!! That right there ^^^^^ says it all :doh:. No matter what you turn in, if there's less than 6 pieces of each item somebody's gonna get upset. And try as he might, an upset judge is NOT going to give out a bunch of 9s.

Hold on

:-DAs I recall I gave him a 9 for apperance and 88 after that. Actually entry 6 got 999 from me. Not because of what was in the box, but entry 6 would have won our table even if the other box had 6 legs and 6 thighs. If there are more items in the box we are told to sample each and average the score.

Only requirement is at least 6 pieces. There is no restriction of what part. Cornish hen is also acceptable.

Judges could be upset if they don't get a piece if you turn in a variety without 6 pieces of each

Most of the highest scorers use thighs

We do breast, Skin on bone in.....guess I just like swimming upstream:shocked:

BINGO!! That right there ^^^^^ says it all :doh:. No matter what you turn in, if there's less than 6 pieces of each item somebody's gonna get upset. And try as he might, an upset judge is NOT going to give out a bunch of 9s.
There is no grudge holding in judging.....:boxing:

I've often wanted to experiment with turning in 6 individual breast meat pinwheels with the thighs but am too afraid it wouldn't get a good response...so I don't change....

Back