• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Oak

Pappy Q

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've always used hickory but have a line on some good oak. Choice between red or white. Looking for input.

I've been using red oak recently, it's mild and I like it.

Sent from my Android phone.

Any oak is good smoking wood! If you can find some post oak, jump on it.

I've had great success with both. In my opinion Red is a little milder.

Pin Oak I's also known as Swamp Oak since it tends to grow in wt environments. I've never tried it for smoking.

Last edited:
oak is good. "red oak" can cover a lot of oak species.
so get what you can. i use pecan or oak.

I prefer white oak, haven't had much luck with red oak., All the red that I have gotten was to resinous for my taste.

cooked with white (the seasoned stuff underthe saws)this weekend after stacking it. I did like it a bit more than cooking with red

20130202_155907_zps5bda3892.jpg

Sent from Galaxy tab

I Oak has become my go to wood. Doesnt seem to mater red or white as long as its well seasoned.

The Red Oak and Pin Oak in Alabama don't smell so great when I split them. The White Oak smells sweet like Hickory and makes a great bed of coals.

The Red Oak and Pin Oak in Alabama don't smell so great when I split them. The White Oak smells sweet like Hickory and makes a great bed of coals.

If red oak is not good enough for whiskey barrels, then it is not good enough for smoking. That being said, I am now convinced that there are some regional reds that would be okay. We just don't have them here.

Back