• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket Enigma (Briskegma?)

My breakfast table is about 28" wide. As an added bonus, I can use a single sheet of 24" butcher paper and basically cover the entire table. I toss a few crayons down and my daughters are entertained for hours. :grin:

I Know that his resturant pits run between 275 & 325 and I don't remember seeing a thermometer except on the pit.
A WSM has the heat coming from below to me that means fat cap down.
If you want something that is as close to what he cooks you need to change your Game. I can get real close and I cook select & choice grade meat From Wal mart & HEB.
Since your cooking on a WSM this is how I cook on the UDS( NO waterpan no diffuser)
cook temp 300
trim the hard fat
S&P
FC down 4 hrs
Wrap in BP
Continue at 300
1-2 HRs it Will probe tender in the thickest part of the Flat.
let it rest wrapped on the counter top until the internal temp drops into the 150's
never fails grade don't matter weight don't matter
6 hrs cook and aprox 2 hr rest
it jiggles when it hits the board and melts in yo mouf

When you say wrapped on the counter top do you mean only in the original butcher paper , or do you wrap in an additional towel or something else ?

Parchment is coated with silicone, which is non-stick and takes a lot of heat. The best I can make out, it does breath some--but not as much as butcher paper. Kirkland from Costco is the thinnest I've ever used, and seems like the best all-around...easier to use if you pre-crumple (especially a brand other than Kirkland).

Does that stuff breathe like butcher paper or is it more like foil?

it breathes some.

its similar to butcher paper but thinner.

I never had any problem with it and have used it many many times for briskets.

But I have never used butcher paper so I cant really compare the two

Here are pics of one with parchment paper

Last edited:
I find that I get FAR better results cooking brisket at 275-285 than the typical "Dude I cook my brisket for like 20 hours at 180*..." I've tried H&F 325-350 and then let rest for 5+ hours in a cooler and had good results, but I really like the texture and flavor of the 275* brisket... I think the slightly higher heat helps render more of the fat and breaks the collegen/connective tissue down better than lower temps, yet the texture is still more like a slow and low brisket, just my opine...

I typically cook select or choice packers and always molest all of them to pick out the floppiest one with the thickest flat... allot of poking, squeezing and appalled sideways looks from folks around you... you'll get used to it :tongue:

On my Cajun Bandit Modded kettle (basically a WSM) I always cook fat down (cap trimmed to 1/4") with the water pan in and foil it :oops: when the brisket gets the color I'm happy with - Still haven't gotten the hang of that dang butcher paper thang... I've only found really thin uncoated paper, I think that's the problem.

PitMaster T and Bigabyte definately have some great tutorials on perfecting brisket if you do some searching...

A WSM has the heat coming from below to me that means fat cap down.
If you want something that is as close to what he cooks you need to change your Game. I can get real close and I cook select & choice grade meat From Wal mart & HEB.
Since your cooking on a WSM this is how I cook on the UDS( NO waterpan no diffuser)
cook temp 300
trim the hard fat
S&P
FC down 4 hrs
Wrap in BP
Continue at 300
1-2 HRs it Will probe tender in the thickest part of the Flat.
let it rest wrapped on the counter top until the internal temp drops into the 150's
never fails grade don't matter weight don't matter
6 hrs cook and aprox 2 hr rest
it jiggles when it hits the board and melts in yo mouf

OK. Next brisket, I'm going to use this method and follow it to a T (not Pitmaster T). I'll let you know the results.

Back