Batman and Robin Pulled Pork Nachos!!!

fingerlickin'

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Here lies my TD entry into the nachos TD. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did. To view the rest of the fantastic entries visit the infamous BBQ Brethren TD Section!

So for the last couple weeks I've been re-doing the kids rooms, with my schedule, that basically means I've been workin' until 2:30am, sleepin' by 3-3:30am for two weeks straight. I'm actually starting to get tired now. :tsk: This past week I stained Peyton's new loft bed, she's pumped to say the least!

DSC_0317.jpg

Anyway's...A while back I got a 5 lb. bag of SM Season All that I split with my wife's uncle. He paid for his half with a bottle of Cachaca, some andouille and a package of anchiote paste. Well, I finally broke out the anchiote paste to make my first attempt at Cochinita pibil.

I got myself an 8 1/2 lb. pork butt and cut it into strips.

DSC_0276.jpg

The ingredients are below, I subbed cider vinegar for bitter orange because, well they just didn't have that at the local grocery store.

DSC_0267.jpg

Then I whizzed up all those ingredients in a blender and put it all in a ziplock to marinate in the fridge Friday night.

DSC_0277.jpg

DSC_0280.jpg

Come Saturday afternoon, I fired up the egg with lump and some of those new hickory chunks I got to about 225*-250*. I cooked it on the grate for the first few hours with the reserved marinade on the bottom shelf. Then I put the pork in the pan, covered it in foil and cooked it until it was fork tender. I know it's not exactly authentic but I was fresh out of banana leaves. :grin:

DSC_0283.jpg

While that was smoking (actually two weeks prior to that smoking) I did up a little Batman action for Drew's new room. Moving up and out of a toddler bed, whoo hoo!!!

DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0109.jpg

Meanwhile...the pork came out looking top notch!

DSC_0291.jpg

The pork shredded up and waiting for it's demise. These pork shreds also made their way into some home made taco's today. (my first attempt with my new tortilla press) A successful adventure and a lot of fun BTW. :thumb:

DSC_0297.jpg

While my wife was hooking up a spider for the Spider Man wall. (also actually happening two weeks prior). I hooked up a nice smooth cheese sauce along with a roasted green chili sauce from our friend Rick Bayless.

DSC_0172.jpg

DSC_0179.jpg

DSC_0304.jpg

DSC_0305.jpg

The end result was better than I could have hoped for. A kick arse Batman room! (that I'm going to cry about repainting when he's 12 :tsk:)

DSC_0202.jpg

DSC_0210.jpg

and some super farking duper Batman (left side) and Robin (right side) pulled pork nachos!!!

DSC_0306.jpg

:peace:

I wanted to thank tortaboy for posting the recipe I used here, it was really Farking good. Now I just have to find some more anchiote paste again.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141392

As an aside, I also smoked a ham along with the pork that you see in the one picture. I'm eating the ham and bean soup that I made with that ham right now. All I can say is fark yeah that's some good chit! SM season all is remarkable stuff.

y7uhu8am.jpg

Back