• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Question: Comp Smoker Portability

Dubs

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Not including the WSM what is the easiest comp smoker to transport without a trailer and only in a SUV?

Steph - what did you use at the comp inside the Santa Anita racetrack? BWS Party?

Yes, I used a BWS extended party and 22.5 WSM for chicken. I swapped out the 22.5 WSM for the Onyx oven at the Mud Bowl.:p

Maybe another topic but how do you get good bark with a BWS. I have trouble with my onxy thats why I am asking.

If, I feel, I need better bark, I place my meat in the rack closet to the top and presto. Feel free to check mine out at the next comp. I got my BWS and Onyx from BPS :thumb:

What shelf and what temp are you cooking on the Onyx?

No budget - I think a Jambo is too large for the back of an SUV right?

All you need is a trailer hitch.

That is a great idea even if you don't want to pull a trailer. If you get a hitch rack you can load a decent size cooker onto it with relative ease. Most racks I have seen are rated for about 500 pounds which gives you a wide range of cooker options. I have even seen them with ramps built in, just roll the cooker on and off

Traeger and Country Smoker each have portable pellet poopers, and Traeger has a kit you can use to make the Junior more portable (Replace the legs for wheels). It might work for others too. Just options.

dmp

You could probably get one of those smokers you see at Lowes that are rectangle and have the adjustable grate. It ya wanted to get fancy you could mount rails inside the suv then when parked open the back slide the two smokers out one a mounted shelf

That is a great idea even if you don't want to pull a trailer. If you get a hitch rack you can load a decent size cooker onto it with relative ease. Most racks I have seen are rated for about 500 pounds which gives you a wide range of cooker options. I have even seen them with ramps built in, just roll the cooker on and off

You can even put an FEC100 or BWS Party, Fatboy, or Competitor on a hitch rack. Chubby will fit inside an SUV no problem, but you may need 2 or 3 of 'em for a comp.

Keep in mind that a hitch rack may be rated to 500# but check the tongue weight rating of the hitch on your vehicle. The one on my dad's motorhome is rated @ 300# while my pickup has a 600# rating.

I use the hitch rack for my New Braunfels offset. Works like a charm. It leaves the bed of the truck open for everything else I need for a comp.

I've transported my BWS Extended Party to comps in my wife's minivan -- just tip it into the truck and slide it in. My BWS has the heavy duty racks so if I take them out the weight becomes much more manageable.

Back