• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
I've been meaning to build an UDS since first reading this thread (when it was considerably smaller) 3 years ago. My 2 Webber kettle BBQ's are still at my sister's after the post-wedding BBQ I did for her, and my daughter wants some ribs cooked for her birthday ... so that was a good incentive to finish off the UDS. The drum has been sitting in the back yard since being burned out last year (or so).

Battery on the cordless drill didn't want to last all that long:
UDS1.jpg

But the corded drill did a good job of cleaning out any remaining paint and rust:
UDS5.jpg

I can't find any of the expanded mesh around here (in small/cheap quantities anyway), so the fire-box build was the biggest problem holding things up. When cleaning up my BBQ yesterday I found the old cast iron grill plates, and cut them in half using the angle grinder:
UDS4.jpg

And used a few bits of nichrome wire to hold it together:
UDS3.jpg

The ash-tray is also from the old BBQ:
UDS2.jpg

... hopefully it will be large enough.

Lots of the folks around here don't seem to like/keep their Webber kettle BBQ's, so the lid and rack's for my UDS were all donated (after they put them out on the nature-strip to be thrown out).

Powder Coating

Sethga, Did you powder coat your drum yourself, or did you have someone do it for you?
I have been looking into building my own oven for powder coating. However I am interested in what it would cost to have it done.

2 UDS smokers

Finished two smokers on my lunch break. Now its time to build me another one. This time I am using a weber lid for the top.
I have one quick question. The next barrell I am using had anti freeze in it. I have done two burns in it all ready. Do you think I need to burn it out again? Or I am safe to assume all of the anti freeze residue has been burned out? Can anybody chime in on this.

Thanks,
Ramiro0727

Attachments

• 20121129_105830.jpg
    20121129_105830.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 730
I'm happy for mine to fall into the extreme ugly end of the UDS scale, as long as it works well.

Measuring the 1/3 segments for drilling air intake and rack holding holes:
UDS7.jpg

TCT Holesaw makes easy work of the intake holes:
UDS9.jpg

Recycled webber racks on SS bolts:
UDS10.jpg

(racks fit perfectly into the '44 gallon' drum).

Intake holes will be covered by a magnet borrowed from the fridge:
UDS14.jpg

Like so:
UDS15.jpg

depressed ... have a BBQ!

Firebox loaded ready for the first run:
UDS11.jpg

The recycled Webber lid matches the protective oxide layer on the outside of the UDS:
UDS16.jpg

... for the traditional inaugural fatty-cook:
fatty1.jpg

fatty2.jpg

Last edited:
Dang Wolfy, that's UGLY!!!! I love it. :eusa_clap
It's beyond ugly ... it's beautiful. ;)

A UDS is not something that people will admire (but there are lots of PDS in this thread), the racks are clean and it works well - which is what matters to me.

I just got done removing the liner off of the food grade drum I bought. I used non toxic paint remover from Home Depot (I tried to burn out the liner but a neighbor called the cops due to the smell). Is there anything I can do to keep the inside from getting rust? Will a good wood burn/smoke work to keep the metal from rusting

Hello, I am new here and found your forum while searching for directions on making a UBS. While I haven't made it all the way through this thread yet, at page 14, I have a question and I haven't come across it yet. I have read that several of you have made various goodies for a New Years party and I would love to do the same. The question is what is the coldest outside air temp any of you have used a UBS? I live in Minnesota and it could be plenty cold even below 0 degrees by that time of year. Well back to more reading.

Hello, I am new here and found your forum while searching for directions on making a UBS. While I haven't made it all the way through this thread yet, at page 14, I have a question and I haven't come across it yet. I have read that several of you have made various goodies for a New Years party and I would love to do the same. The question is what is the coldest outside air temp any of you have used a UBS? I live in Minnesota and it could be plenty cold even below 0 degrees by that time of year. Well back to more reading.

Many have used them below 0. A water heater insulation blanket will help fuel consumption. Could use a welders blanket or some such as well. I live in Oregon (not terribly cold) and neither it or rain affects my UDS. Wind is the big issue so I have it placed where it is blocked and I'll put a cinder block just in front of the intake to minimize wind gusts entering the barrel and causing temperature fluctuations.

I just got done removing the liner off of the food grade drum I bought. I used non toxic paint remover from Home Depot (I tried to burn out the liner but a neighbor called the cops due to the smell). Is there anything I can do to keep the inside from getting rust? Will a good wood burn/smoke work to keep the metal from rusting

Get a can of cooking spray and coat the inside of it to season it and prevent rusting.

Question for ya fellows, does anybody know is a 5 gallon bucket handle is galvanized? Was thinking about attaching one to my charcoal basket. What do y'all think?

Question for ya fellows, does anybody know is a 5 gallon bucket handle is galvanized? Was thinking about attaching one to my charcoal basket. What do y'all think?

I hit mine with a propane torch to burn any coating off.

Right on! Thanks brother

Glad to help. I also did this with the nuts and bolts I used too. I couldnt find stainless so I had to buy coated ones. I installed them and heated them up until they were just steel.

Glad to help. I also did this with the nuts and bolts I used too. I couldnt find stainless so I had to buy coated ones. I installed them and heated them up until they were just steel.
That led me to my next question so thanks again! Probably going to assemble my charcoal basket with
ll the hardware expanded metal and bucket handle then torch the crap out of it with a propane weed burner. Hehe fire fire! :twisted:

Just gave a good friend on mine a "complete" drum setup yesterday for a retirement present. I even gave him a bag of lump charcoal and a torch!!!

We fired it up and it was running 280 degrees when I left. He was already talking about making modifications! I think we have another "Drum Head" in the group.

Sometimes it really is better to give than to receive.

Thanks for the replies - I did contact the manufacturer and they said its rated NSF 51 (safe to be around, but not in contact with food). Did another burn this weekend and no chemical smell. Based on that and the number of mods I've seen using this product, I'm feeling ok about it.

Exactly that has been post many times in this thread but people are still scared to use it :tsk:

I've cooked at -50F with and with out insulation, only difference is the amount of fuel used, If you use a Guru or Stoker you really need to close the exuast to about 20% or blast of cold air will drive temp down and take a long time to recover

Here is an old post of mine at -38F

Hope that helps
pwa

Back