Jambo Backyard Pit

viggysmalls

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I've done a lot of research (and combed through plenty of old brethren threads on stick burning pits) and I'm seriously thinking about snagging a backyard Jambo. Since they're a different size than the trailers, I was wondering if they cooked as evenly as the bigger Jambo grills?

Anyone who's used the backyard pit, can you please share what you think of it?

The backyard Jambos cook BBQ very well and do it just as well as their big brothers. In fact, my Jambo was right beside Tuffy Stone's big $15k Jambo in my last competition and I beat him. I came in third overall and he came in fourth overall. So, I think that speaks highly of the quality of BBQ that can be produced with one.

I have had my backyard for a few months now and have cooked with it every weekend snow or shine in North East Iowa. There is a learning curve as this is my first stick burner, but it has made some great food with raving reviews. I live on a small street with 4 houses out in the country. If the neighbors see the Jambo out, they show up with meat and ask if I can sneak it in!

I most likely will make some mods as the steel wheels don't move easy in the snow or soft gravel putting her away in the side garage so some big rubber tires are in order. Other than that no regrets.

First off listen to what the Boshizzle man says, then do the "BBQ Bandit" biscuit test. I was torn for over a year, had settled on the first used Klose or Gator I could find and then a wonderful Brethren on here sold me his Jambo Backyard.....In fact I'm going to have a "damn the rain" smoke tommorow. I think all the major offsets are wonderful, I just ended up with a Jambo and I love it although EVERY time I cook is a day at school. For info I would ask Boshizzle or CAll Jamie that makes them.....Very nice and knowledgable guy.....hope whatever you end up with makes you happy and your food will make other's very happy.....It cooks really well. The only thing I would like is a single door (which Jamie will do for you) and rubber wheels to move more easily.

Last edited:
In fact, my Jambo was right beside Tuffy Stone's big $15k Jambo in my last competition and I beat him. I came in third overall and he came in fourth overall. So, I think that speaks highly of the quality of BBQ that can be produced with one.
It also speaks highly of the pitmaster, good job!

The backyard Jambos cook BBQ very well and do it just as well as their big brothers. In fact, my Jambo was right beside Tuffy Stone's big $15k Jambo in my last competition and I beat him. I came in third overall and he came in fourth overall. So, I think that speaks highly of the quality of BBQ that can be produced with one.

Great Job.

What are your meat quantities? Are you having to get the big meats off and resting before ribs and chicken?

Man, I want one of these...wonder if Jamie will put a stainless stack on one, I drool every time I see Tuffy's or JT's on Pitmasters.

Sent from my Incredible (2) Droid

Great Job.

What are your meat quantities? Are you having to get the big meats off and resting before ribs and chicken?

Yes, I move the pork butts to another smoker once they are wrapped which makes room for chicken and ribs.

Man, I want one of these...wonder if Jamie will put a stainless stack on one, I drool every time I see Tuffy's or JT's on Pitmasters.

Sent from my Incredible (2) Droid

Yes he will make a stainless stack for a backyard pit. It goes take him a little longer to turn turn pit out though as he has to special order them.

First post, but long time follower and advocate! I'ver spent quite a bit of time, reading and researching different groups and I clearly see why this is the "brethren" and the best choice. The wealth of information, the support, the expertise and experience....it's absolutely invaluable. :mod:

As a WSM 22.5" owner, and someone who's been to a few classes and KCBS qualifying events (purely as a spectator and student) along with being signed up for Johnny Trigg's class next month, I admit....I AM ADDICTED TO SMOKIN'!

So, I'm pretty far down the path (at least, mentally) that I'm calling Jamie and ordering a backyard model. I am not at the level of competition smoking individually, but I did participate in MiM last year (and again this year) and feel as if I still have much to learn before making my maiden voyage.

As I contemplate the options on this backyard model, I'm hoping Jamie will agree to the following;

1. Chrome stack
2. Rubber wheels (easier to move around, in/out garage)
3. Upper shelf on left side of cooker
4. Single door vs. standard dual door

I don't know if, other than appearance and the "really cool" factor, I want to drop an additional $900 for the boiler door...as this puppy will be north of $2500 all-in by the time I get it shipped from TX to IL.

So, my question is this...am I missing any other upgrades or modifications that others have or strongly suggest? If so, please let me know. Pron is also of value, as its easier to visualize.

Thanks Brethren! Looking forward to mtg and seeing some of you soon.

First post, but long time follower and advocate! I'ver spent quite a bit of time, reading and researching different groups and I clearly see why this is the "brethren" and the best choice. The wealth of information, the support, the expertise and experience....it's absolutely invaluable. :mod:

As a WSM 22.5" owner, and someone who's been to a few classes and KCBS qualifying events (purely as a spectator and student) along with being signed up for Johnny Trigg's class next month, I admit....I AM ADDICTED TO SMOKIN'!

So, I'm pretty far down the path (at least, mentally) that I'm calling Jamie and ordering a backyard model. I am not at the level of competition smoking individually, but I did participate in MiM last year (and again this year) and feel as if I still have much to learn before making my maiden voyage.

As I contemplate the options on this backyard model, I'm hoping Jamie will agree to the following;

1. Chrome stack
2. Rubber wheels (easier to move around, in/out garage)
3. Upper shelf on left side of cooker
4. Single door vs. standard dual door

I don't know if, other than appearance and the "really cool" factor, I want to drop an additional $900 for the boiler door...as this puppy will be north of $2500 all-in by the time I get it shipped from TX to IL.

So, my question is this...am I missing any other upgrades or modifications that others have or strongly suggest? If so, please let me know. Pron is also of value, as its easier to visualize.

Thanks Brethren! Looking forward to mtg and seeing some of you soon.

Boiler door not an option on backyard model so one less decision to make. Order one, you won't be sorry.

Thanks Pappy. I know I've read so many posts...maybe I made a mistake..appreciate the clarification.

Back