Brining in a cooler

O

obnepec

All,

I am going to be preparing more boston butt than I can put in my fridge for the brine. I am thinking get a couple of the styrofoam disposable coolers, put in the butts and brine and then top them off with ice however I have never done this.

Anyone have suggestions or comments? If I can still see ice in the mix is the temp ok or should I periodically check temperature? What temp is ok?

Thanks!

I would put the meat in a plastic bag to protect brine quality. If not you end up staining the cooler with seasoning and diluting the brine. Also eliminates chance of picking up foreign taste from the cooler.Still check the ice but not losing flavor this way. Steve.

I would put the meat in a plastic bag to protect brine quality. If not you end up staining the cooler with seasoning and diluting the brine. Also eliminates chance of picking up foreign taste from the cooler.Still check the ice but not losing flavor this way. Steve.

Right on.

Now that you asked in the catering section, i can surely say if your brining butts, your losing money.

Brining is for those that cant cook juicy BBQ.

Make sure you account for the ice your adding as water or as it melts youll weaken your brine strength.

We never brine butts, we do inject though. The main reason that we inject for catering is to maintain the same flavor profile that our clients have received at their initial tasting of our product.

Personally, I think you'd be better off injecting and then putting the butts in XXL Ziplocs and then on ice.

JMO

Crash is right on, forget about brine and butts, waste of time and injection works much better and is quicker. Time is money!!! The only thing I brine for a catering job is , nothing.

Back