• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pickled Jalapenos

armor

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Anyone have a recipe for pickled jalapenos or know where they can be purchased? I have found sliced in local stores but I am looking for whole.

Did you perhaps watch DDD last night and wish to make Armadillo eggs?

Our local walmart has jars of whole pickled jalapenos.

You got it. I've made them before but not with pickled japs. Thought I would give it a try.

La Costena makes them. Usually packed with carrots in a can. Have you checked your Ethnic Food section at your WM?

I did these and they are great:
  1. Slice peppers or leave them whole.
  2. (To prevent bursting, cut two small slits in whole peppers.).
  3. Pack peppers tightly into clean, hot jars.
  4. Combine vinegar and water; heat to a simmer.
  5. Do not boil.
  6. Pour hot vinegar over peppers, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
  7. Add pickling salt and a clove of garlic to each jar then seal.
  8. Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

There has got to be a market close to you that has pickled japs...

La Costena makes them. Usually packed with carrots in a can. Have you checked your Ethnic Food section at your WM?
Down here of course we have a lot of choices. I have found that the La Costena brand tend to be less hot than other brands of pickled japs, but they still have a good flavor. Just a note if you need to please some folks with a more "sensitive" palate.

They are usually canned. Go to the Mexican section of your supermarket. You can buy the big cans for next to nothing at Restaurant Depot.

Look for them in a can in the Mexican section of your super market rather than in the jars near the pickles.

Also, seems every town in America now has a Mexican grocery store.

We have serveral Mexican grocery stores that carry them in #10 Cans

0611080919a.jpg

Wal-Mart usually carries Trappeys whole peppers in pickles/olives section. I love the Trappeys brand because they are so crunchy. I have found the canned peppers tend to be soft and mushy. When I can at home, I do not boil in long water bath. I simply fill clean quart jars with pepper, a tablespoon of canning salt, and garlic cloves are optional. I then boil white vinegar and pour into jars prefilled with peppers, place lid, and allow to cool. I then put peppers in refrigerator to cure for a few months.

Depending on tastes, you can also add okra or small quartered green tomatoes. When doing only okra, I generally add a TB of peppercorns and a TSP of mustard seed and process in pint jars. I will also add sprigs of fresh dill to the jars, which you may want to use with peppers too depending on taste preferences.

I'm another fan of La Costena. They have the highest and most consistent quality of the brands I've tried.

It would be cool to do it once, but it's just too easy to pick up a can and get to work.

Back