UDS Turkey + Diffuser

CuriousLayman

Reaction score
I plan to try a couple of turkeys soon. One way I want to try it, is to spatchcock it. But I'd also like to try it without flattening the bird. That brings me to my question. I don't currently have room for a full turkey in my UDS. I'm thinking that I could add a diffuser or a water bowl a little above the charcoal basket. That should allow me to lower my food grate right? It seems to me that the WSM works on that principle. For butts, etc, I like the direct heat and fat hitting the coals. But for the turkey I'm going to put a pan under it so I would think it won't hurt the flavor any to add a diffuser and lower the food grate. Any thoughts?

Yes. Perforated Pizza Pan 4" above fire, lower grate shove a TallBoy up its butt and plenty of rub under skin and butter on skin.........

Sitting on a Beer Can ........

null_zpsf69844ed.jpg

I have a grate about 4" above my basket just for that reason. I usually use a turkey foil pan to catch all the drippings. I only use it for poultry, like you I let the other juices drip on the lump.

Like others, catch pan for those wonderful drippins! The best gravy you will ever make. Been doing that for 30 + yrs. Stuffed, not stuffed, you just get a lot more drippins with unstuffed. I start with 1/2 beer or so in the pan when I first put it on. You could use water, but for me the chief has to get marinated too! Don't want to waste the rest of that beer, sooo.

Back