• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

2013 KCBS Meeting thoughts

They used to have a raffle of donated items: gift baskets, gift cards, etc. It's become pretty streamlined.

As far as a place to get together....I made plans and got together with a lot of people. I was talking about while at the hotel, somewhere to hang out, meet new people...other than the lobby. The bar would be a good place, except it was a bit pricey to hang out for too long.

would like to know if public was informed at all? was this advertised at all too try to get public to come to trade show? no goodie bags this year !!no general raffle this year for fun stuff. we got in later on friday,did any one do the scav.hunt ?glad we brought our own drinks!!

Why would they inform the public of 8 exhibitors? Part of them weren't manned.

I recall going to Philly and they didn't have any exhibitors, that I'm aware of.

I had a good time. Enjoyed seeing folks in a casual atmosphere.

Lol I remember that. The band started and the place cleared out like there was a fire!

I honestly can't picture a bunch of big BBQ guys out on the dance floor getting their groove on. Wow, just trying to picture this has me a little traumatized for the day.

Eggspert BBQ

Why don't they forget all the goodie bags and "fun" activities and just get better food and free beer. I think most would be a whole lot happier. We all know when it comes to food it is very hard to please most of us, come on we are on the professional bbq circuit! Large groups are difficult to feed. Maybe just forget the food and do drinks and appetizers!
Eggspert BBQ

Free beer would raise a bunch of flags with the lawyers, both KCBS and the event location. It just won't happen because of liability.

Apps and a cash bar while the awards, raffles, etc. is more doable. It would be better food and easier to manage. Plated, rubber chicken dinners are, at best, last resort.

I have been involved with planning conventions and dinners as both a payer (corporate) and a provider and there is absolutly no way to satisfy anyone with a plated dinner or a buffet dinner if the number is above 100. Some one should consult with one of the TOY guys, he has experience that could/should have been tapped.

Free beer would raise a bunch of flags with the lawyers, both KCBS and the event location. It just won't happen because of liability.

I don't know why the event location would have any issues. Hotels have open bars for events all the time, like for weddings. Bartenders always have the right to say no. I'm not saying it will happen, but don't blame the hotels. They'd love to sell open bar service, because it's not cheap.

dmp

Banquet attendance in San Diego was about 280 last year and only 323 in Kansas City. Voter participation was up a bit this year -- 17% last year 18% this year. Both banquet participation and vote percentage show a "core" KCBS member base of about 20% of total numbers.

You know how to bring banquet attendance up Candy - bring it back down to Dixie in 2014!

If the all the license plates I see on I-75 South are any indication, folks from the snow belt would rather head to Orlando than Kansas City in January.

I've been to 3 - Philly, San Diego & this yr's KCBS. This yr's dinner set up was definitely better with the plated entree but would have been better to ask if you wanted chicken or steak - though I'm not sure many ate the chicken. We had to ask for coffee. Was told at the previous meeting that they couldn't get vendor areas due to being remote but KC always had a good show- not! felt bad for the few vendors that were there-not sure why it's another opportunity to showcase BBQ & KCBS to the public. Would like to see the board meeting be more of an Annual meeting- instead of a rush through of the normal accepting the submitted reports monthly. Membership, Rep & CBJ's report do give some of a summary - but it would be nice to see formal year end committee reports - and copies of the report/agenda available. Last year's hotel provided opportunities to get together with the breakfast & evening buffet. Something to keep in mind when selecting next year's hotel or setting up a hospitality area. This hotel was definitely more pricey for food/liquor than San Diego & Philly. If people aren't coming in until Friday night- hold meetings then - could have multiple meetings at the same time on Saturday- more breakout sessions. Definitely agree with setting up a bbq or foodie crawl. Looking forward to Nashville.

And for those that say why dont you do it? I have sent Carolyn an email volunteering to have the banquet in Chicago. 2 world class airports, plenty of hotels, transportation, awesome good and restaurants.

Perfect location!!! I would definitely attend if it were in Chicago, I may go to Nashville next year...

Back