Homemade rib rub and sauce combo

dealm9

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
i am waiting on some yardbird and sm cherry rubs and blues hog sauce so i need a good rib rub and sauce combo that i can make tonight because i am smoking ribs tomorrow on my uds. i would like to get the rub on tonight. i have searched the forums for a good rub and sauce combo but all i can find is either a thread of rubs or a thread of sauces. I would like to find a recipe of a sauce and rub that fit well together. i like sweet ribs but i also like savory ribs and am open to all types and styles. i found a great rub/sauce combo for pork butt from LT72884 here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64815

I liked that and i am sure it would be great on ribs but since i am fairly new to true smoking on a uds i would like to experiment with different rubs and sauces instead of always doing the same thing. I smoked some chicken breasts tonight and forgot pron (sorry:doh:) so i want to make up for that with these ribs tomorrow. Thanks in advance!

also this is my first time smoking ribs on the uds so any hints/tips/advice and/or general guidelines would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Try this as a pork rub;
[FONT=&quot]PORK DRY RUB[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] 1/2 cup packed brown sugar [/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] 2 tablespoons chili powder [/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] 1 tablespoon paprika [/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper [/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] 2 tablespoons garlic powder [/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] 2 teaspoons onion powder [/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] 2 teaspoons kosher salt [/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] 2 teaspoons ground cumin [/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon [/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] 1 teaspoon ground allspice [/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper[/FONT]
This is a very good sauce for ribs;
[FONT=&quot]STILL HOUSE BARBECUE SAUCE[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]1 cup Jack Daniel's Tennessee whiskey[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 cup ketchup[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 cup cider vinegar[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 cup packed dark brown sugar[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1/2 cup onion, very finely chopped[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 1/2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Combine all the ingredients in a large, heavy, nonreactive saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and briskly simmer, uncovered, until richly flavored and slightly thickened, about 20 to 30 minutes, stirring from time to time with a wooden spoon. Use right away or transfer to jars, cover, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate. The sauce will keep for several months. Makes about 4 cups.
Brush this sauce on ribs, chicken, or pork during the last 10 minutes of cooking. And serve plenty of it on the side.[/FONT]

As long as you keep the rub ratio at 8:3:1:1 you'll be fine. Alton Brown has a pretty interesting mix at http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/who-loves-ya-baby-back-recipe/index.html complete with instruction. To make a complementary sauce, you can get some regular Sweat Baby Rays and doctor it up by combining one cup of sauce with two table spoons of the rub and then cut it with either a 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar or beer. Add a dash of your favorite hot sauce to taste and you're set! If you like it a little sweater, add a tablespoon or two of honey or molasses.

thanks guys. those both sound great. i think i am going to try your recipes howler. the sauce sounds amazing. i like the jack daniels part:wink:

thanks guys. those both sound great. i think i am going to try your recipes howler. the sauce sounds amazing. i like the jack daniels part:wink:

The sauce is very good. I leave out the liquid smoke almost all of the time I make it as there is enough smoke flavor from the meat.

JD makes a honey flavored whiskey that is the best of all the honey whiskeys out at this time. It would be a great addition to the sauce I think!

Back