Any Predictions

mobow

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I noticed that the pork parting rule is on the agenda for tomorrows board meeting. Any predictions of if it will stand or fall? keith

I thought any rule changes had to be submitted last year?

I really don't give 2 $h!ts if it changes or not, it won't change the way I do my pork.. I just think it's pathetic to treat one category differently than the other 3, especially when it is difficult to enforce.

From KCBS website - Sanctioning & Rules Reports:

http://www.kcbs.us/news.php?id=610

Motion on Rule # 10
I move that the definition of PORK be changed as follows:
Pork: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, being one piece, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds (bone in or bone out).

Doesn't look to be changing, only clarifying.

O Motion - Randy Bigler; Seconded by Jeff Stith: In regards to KCBS Rule number 10, under pork, motion is made that the sentence "At no time shall the meat once separated be returned to a cooker" be stricken from the rules effective immediately.

To be honest I think that KCBS should consider rule changes every year to make sure that they keep the focus on what they consider to be traditional bbq values.

I dont know that butter baths and parting out pork butts is what they traditional view as BBQ, but I think that they have a responsibility to make sure that the rules reflect their views on BBQ and what the teams are presenting as such.

I think its an odd rule being that you can return any other cut of meat to the smoker besides Pork. Hard rule to enforce so why bother?

There was lively and passionate debate over this at the rules meeting in KC.
Lots of gnashing of teeth and waving of arms.

Will be interesting to see if anything comes of it and how and when any changes are implemented.

Not betting either way.

Some teams will do their best to conform to the rule as written, some teams will adhere to their own wildly creative interpretation of the rule, some teams will do whatever they want to saying that as long as there's no specific microprohibition of that exact thing it's okay, and some teams will openly declare that they'll do as they damn please because nobody's checking anyway.

Yeah, I'm freaking psychic.

Back