• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My BGE Gasket Is Toast

From reading this I guess getting just about 2 years out of mine is good. Getting ready to replace mine.

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1597323 said:
I suggest just get the NOMEX gasket and use 3M Super 77 spray. I burnt mine the 1st week I owned it. Replaced with the above and no more issues. You should always do the dollar bill test (closing the lid with a bill between the surfaces to test for seal) after the gasket is replaced. Then do several low temp cooks before ever doing a high temp cook. This will help set and cure the gasket.

I too burnt mine up like this and after replacing per my earlier post, I have not had a single issue, one year later........

If you don't have a pretty good seal it is really difficult to maintain temps over a long cook, take it apart to replace the seal and you will get a true seal after replacing the gasket!

Reading many many posts and threads here and on other forums, it seems the largest group favor the use of the Permatex Ultra Copper Silicone only... no Nomex, no Rutland, no Coltronics gaskets at all. Just the slightly soft Permatex.

Clearly the most difficult to apply but highest temp / survivability rated

Seems like the best approach so far is to put a thick bead of the Permatex Copper on the lip of the cleaned base, with voids at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock. Place saran wrap over the bead, place some small wooden dowels ( 1/4") in the voids, close the lid, and wait 24 hours.

Then take more Permatex, fill in the voids where the dowels were, place saran wrap over them, close the lid, and wait another 24 hours.

A small cut(s) can be made in the seal for probe wires.

Use warm Permatex tubes. Plastic nozzle off.

Either remove the bottom band or tape the area off so cleanup is easier.

The whole process is easier of the entire unit is at room temp. I suppose it will flow better when warm before it starts to stiffen up.

Sounds like I'll need 4-5 tubes for a thicker gasket on my Large Egg. One fellow used 4 tubes on a medium Egg. Another guy used 2.5 tubes on his Large but I like the idea of a thicker gasket.

Many people feel great about having no gasket. That’s fine, but there is value in having the unit sealed. In my opinion. So I’m not interested in running bareback at this time.

Many people replaced their units with Nomex and are happy. Others fried Nomex also and quickly. So Nomex seems to be a better solution that stock gasket, but not the highest temp rated goal that I have.

Others still went with the Rutland or Cotronics gaskets. Glued down with a gasket maker product from Permatex. There were some concerns about the Rutland and the fiberglass. I have no information as to the real hazard that may or may not exist with the fiberglass particles.

Obviously any Permatex used to secure the Rutland will be exposed to the same air and heat and the Rutland will not shield your food from anything coming out of the Permatex.

Clearly any fiberous gasket material might cause some person some concern. I would have gone with a Rutland + Permatex solution, except there are a lot of people that created a gasket only out of the Permatex gasket maker. No fiberous gasket. Hmmm…

1- Permatex + Rutland works “OK"
2- but Rutland may have some fiber hazard
3- and omitting Rutland leaves just the Permatex
4- And a surprising number of people like just Permatex

Seems like a logical conclusion to simply eliminate the fiber portion of the solution and go all Permatex.

Then the question opens up about which Permatex. Go with the Red that is food service compliant, or the Copper that is 50 degrees F. higher rated. I looked at the MSDS sheet for both and they both look frightening. I’ll be calling their technical services department tomorrow. I want to know if any of the hazards extend beyond the curing period. I want to know if the Copper is not food compliant because of a particular included ingredient OR if Permatex simply didn’t want to pay UL Labs $50k for a fire test and chemical analysis of the Copper when they already had an approved Red.

My guess (speculation) is that the Copper is fine or at least equal to the Red. The hazards are during cure and a heating after cure to purge remaining unreacted components and solvents will render either the Red or Copper essentially (equally) inert. That’s my guess. We’ll see.

Just an update. My hunch was correct. I just spoke with Permatex technical support. Both the Red and the Copper are inert after cure. Neither will degrade and kill us. Specifically, there's no benefit to using the Red around our grilles. Go for the copper.

I took the easy route, free high heat replacement from BGE adhered with 3M Super 77...It has done really well through many pizza/steak cooks.

Wow TedW you have done your homework. Let us know how it worked, sounds like your leaving the top on while creating the gasket.

Tod

Hi Tod, I like to look before I leap.

I would likely remove the top dome to make this all easier/ I have read where leaving the top attached to the hinge makes it difficult to install the Permatex near the hinge.

Just saw this thread. Funny, when I got my first Egg, I fried the entire gasket by doing a high heat cook too soon. BGE sent a replacement. By that time, I had opened the Egg and removed the gasket and had been told to go ahead and use it, which I did. When the replacement arrived, I had food on the Egg. I've figured out how to do low and slow really well - as well as high heat - without the gasket. The replacement is still in a drawer. Doh!

Just an update. My hunch was correct. I just spoke with Permatex technical support. Both the Red and the Copper are inert after cure. Neither will degrade and kill us. Specifically, there's no benefit to using the Red around our grilles. Go for the copper.

Ted great info Thanks.

My gasket melted away last night and I've been searching for the Rutland gasket but no one carries it locally. I just found this post and I think I'll give it a try. Again thanks for the great info.

Jerry

The Rutland (furnace gasket) secured with Permatex Ultra Copper (Used as an exhaust manifold gasket) will withstand anything you throw at it.

I'm using a Rutland gasket with the adhesive from their kit. No problems so far. After many high heat cooks, the gasket looks like the day I put it on.

So, is it safe to assume that everyone here that used the Permatex is still alive? :)

I have had my BGE for a year, fried 2 regular gaskets, and 1 nomex (pizza time), and was looking for a definitive solution.

Is this still it?

Thanks!

Forget the Nomex. Forget the felt. Go to ACE and get the Rutland "Grapho-Glas" 5/8" FLAT replacement stove gasket. Some stores sell it by the foot, others in an 84" package. Stop at an auto parts store and purchase 2 tubes of Permatex "Gold" gasket maker. (It's actually orange)... Scrunch the gasket material until it is about 2/3 its original length. Most easily done by laying it on a table and pushing it together with your fingers... Watch TV... It will take a few minutes. Measure the circumference of your cooker (or the diamater x 3.14). Cut the gasket material to that length. Spread a thin, fat bead of Permatex about a foot long. Press the gasket material into it. Continue around the cooker.

Many Eggs are assembled with a slight gap at the back... not noticable but enough to let some of the hot gas escape and burn the felt gasket. The back is usually the hottest part of the Egg, too.

Go to www.greeneggers.com and make a search for "Rutland Gasket"... There are many threads on the subject.

Forget the Nomex. Forget the felt. Go to ACE and get the Rutland "Grapho-Glas" 5/8" FLAT replacement stove gasket. Some stores sell it by the foot, others in an 84" package. Stop at an auto parts store and purchase 2 tubes of Permatex "Gold" gasket maker. (It's actually orange)... Scrunch the gasket material until it is about 2/3 its original length. Most easily done by laying it on a table and pushing it together with your fingers... Watch TV... It will take a few minutes. Measure the circumference of your cooker (or the diamater x 3.14). Cut the gasket material to that length. Spread a thin, fat bead of Permatex about a foot long. Press the gasket material into it. Continue around the cooker.

Many Eggs are assembled with a slight gap at the back... not noticable but enough to let some of the hot gas escape and burn the felt gasket. The back is usually the hottest part of the Egg, too.

Go to www.greeneggers.com and make a search for "Rutland Gasket"... There are many threads on the subject.

Thank you, thank you, and thank....you!

I ended up going with the Permatex Ultra Copper Silicone and the Rutland.

Lots of smokes and pizzas. I don't think I'll ever have to replace again.

Jerry

The Nomex gasket is indeed rated to a higher failure temperature.

Is the entire gasket burned or just a small area?

Nomex is the same material used in high pressure industrial boilers that you can drive a truck through. Yes, it will work.

Good stuff all, thanks!

Started replacement of mine over the summer and never finished(other stuff came up)

Planning on just using it without a gasket for now. But good to have options!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

I cannot help but wonder what kind of gasket the Chineese used when they invented the Kamado type cooker a thousand years ago,,,mammoth hair?????:tsk:

Back