Sauces vs. Glazes

tomnstac

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I am a newbie to the forum but not to bbq. Our team has been competing for a little over a year and we are all hooked. Great people, good times, and fantastic food!! My question to you folks with a lot more experience than us is, do you sauce near the end of cooking and then apply a glaze for the judges? The saucing part we have down pretty well. But we have tried some different concoctions - some homemade and some bought - with very limited satisfaction. Any thoughts on what looks good at the end but also tastes good?! Any help would be appreciated.

:razz:

Tim and I have tried different options and have pretty much settled on a finishing sauce that is applied the last 30-45 minutes and it's got so much sugar, honey, and butter that it acts as our glaze...this is primarily for ribs and chicken.

Some guys use a sauce and then final glaze with jelly (varies from team to team) and/or honey, etc.

glazes

What have you found that has worked for various meats? Do you use the same glazes for all the entries or a different for each? Also do you use the apple juice/ corn syrup mix just before turn in to set a nice shine? I always wondered what happens to that stuff if say your box sits on a judges table for 20 minutes. Does it turn dull and do just the opposite you intended it to? We like to cook, well we like to eat, but we never really tried to make it look "pretty". Now we're realizing there is alot more than just taste. Any help is greatly appreciated.

We currently use a blended sauce - a meat sauce :razz: - that's used for all the entries. We do add brisket juice for the brisket entry to thin the sauce and use it more to add moisture - we don't heavily sauce our brisket entry.

The sauce is a blend of commercially available sauces with added honey, brown sugar, and some butter. This is definately a taste thing...the butter adds shine or sheen to the sauce.

It holds its color and consistency well in the turn-in box. We apply it in 15 minute incriments just prior to pulling the meat for turn-in...so it's well heated (actually, it's applies warm, too) and has had time to "set". We have to handle the chicken and ribs carefully to avoid finger prints!

I like it so much I make a batch at home every so often just to keep it on-hand.

We glaze our ribs and chicken by adding some honey to the BBQ sauce we are using . We also spritz with a little apple juice before turn in to give a little more sheen. With brisket we simply give a light spritz with some apple juice to give a sheen and don't sauce at all. With pork we lighty sauce and give a light spritz of apple juice before turn in.

Back