Beef tongue - let's discuss

It's very common around southern California, almost every corner Mexican joint offers Lengua tacos. I tried it a few times myself but just cannot get into it. Thanks for putting that list together Bandit, it will help a lot of folks down the line.

Lengua tacos are quite popular down here with all the food trucks. Tried 'em, some were better than others.

Not as tasty as I would like (pun intended)

Beef tongue good stuff. Boiled until tender with kosher salt and lots of black pepper corns and some bay leave,remove skin, serve with a good mustard and horse radish sauce and a loaf of rye bred.

Now , leave me alone,don't bother me, I'm eating.

Love it! All the mom and pop taquerias here have them and quite a few are excellent! However, I can only get them for me, and as to cooking one, well, I'll lose that vote everytime.

My parents boil it for hours, then ad garlic, allspice and bay leaf to it (cut a small incision and insert)... delicious! I often thought about smoking it, but didn't think it had enough fat , so it would just dry out...

Let me know how it goes!

That is not so far from what my mom did with tongue. Interesting. The only difference was that she use some sugar to make what she called 'Creole sauce'. It was very good as I recall. I haven't cooked tongue in quite a while.

You can get pig tongue, lamb tongue (blue and somewhat off-putting) and goose tongue in Chinatown. I have never tried the pig or lamb tongue. I kinda think I did try goose tongue, it must not have been memorable though.

As a child, I loved grabbing the raw tongue and 'licking' people, this had a poor risk/reward payoff, but, was still entertaining to me.

If I had a choice, I'd take pig or lamb tongue anyday. MUCH more tender. The sauce my mom and grandma make has a bit of a light colored roux along with it. I've never seen my mom make it, but I do believe it's some type of thin sauce she starts it off with and the tomatoes and stuff add their juices to it as well. Another key is to slice or dice thin and small. That helps a bit with the texture.

LMAO!!! That would have been my grandfather going after us with it!:becky:

I remember that my Mom used to cook it back in the days when my Dad raised cattle. I have had any for many decades. I might have to give it a try.

Back